1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optimus Prime for sale - Bjørn Nyland

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Mar 29, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He walks through a requirements analysis:

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's not a prime, its a tesla :confused:

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    One telling thing about his for-sale video, among his many reasons for selling ..... since he supercharges on so many of his long distance trips, he states that 95kW is the most that he can now charge at, instead of 115kW. That factoid - Tesla throttling back max power of frequent supercharging, was something kept quiet, until some of the club software engineers persistently brought it up while online. To this day, Tesla hasn't revealed the algorithm that trips that scenario, only that it happens - even using much lower powered CHAdeMO's for quick charging .... some of which will only deliver 20kW .... virtually the amount that Tesla is throttling back the superchargers. It's pretty much understood this was done to ensure that the traction packs will have more of its maximum capacity/longevity. It will be interesting now that superchargers are increasing their power, and what the drop-down amount will ultimately be on those models yet to come.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As a new, SRM3+ owner, could you provide a URL for this so I can join the discussion?
    This suggests it is something in the vehicle BMS. It would be interesting to see if there is an L2 effect too.

Bob Wilson

5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, Bjorn is abusing his Tesla in a manner that is not good for the long term longevity of his battery pack. Tesla knows how much and how often people Supercharge their cars. If people are over-Supercharging their car, they will throttle back the rate to protect the batteries. Again, this has nothing to do with charging at home on an L2 charger other than it is not recommended to charge your car to 100% on a daily basis. Tesla recommends charging to 70-90% on a daily basis and only 100% when leaving on a trip immediately.

I will be using the higher capacity Superchargers only occasionally on longer trips. I will continue to charge to only 80-90% on those trips but it will cut my charging time at a Supercharger stop every 3 to 4 hours from 30 minutes to 15/20 minutes

Bjorn will probably purchase another BEV from another maker. But there is no car maker out there right now who supervises how an owner uses and charges their car like Tesla does. Bjorn will wind up breaking his new car as a result. Bjorn is his own worst enemy.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It may very well be in the battery management. However, since Tesla can change parameters by over-the-air mod's, coupled within any upgrades - perhaps it's not a "how it's done" issue. In any event, here's a link that take will readers through the nearly 2 years of dialogue - back when it was 1st observed;
    If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging | Tesla Motors Club
    Happy digesting!

{EDIT}
    The above FACT, is not to be taken as derogatory about the manufacturer, although it may cause crazed fans to feel the need to come to the manufacturers rescue ... & actually blame Bjorn for his charging regimen. (Disgust)
    The fact is, when he bought it, as with others who bought early models relied on the manufacturers advertising - regarding how fast it would charge.
    Then one day, it simply wouldn't charge that fast anymore. To blame a user? for relying on a manufacturers advertising? who gives no warning of potential frequent supercharging ? That truly gives evidence of thoughts from zealous crazed owner, that certainly must fear stating such facts is going to potentially lose a sale. Jeez - really?
    Reminds me of the Mueller report. You don't get to hear what you want to hear & suddenly they want to burn you at the stake.

#6 hill, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    bwilson4web likes this.
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel better about using V2 Superchargers more often knowing that they are able to use much higher power yet. I would guess no throttling will happen at V2's with Model 3's.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    possibly. It may be one of those yet to be determined scenarios. Apparently the algorithm recognizes how fast the DC quick-charge is. Thus, people who have charged tons - but below 40kW (CHAdeMO owners can run 'em 50kW's but some run 'em below 25kW) have not tripped the Throttle-Down algorithm. Irony is, Tesla admits there is some signaling that goes on to drop supercharger charge speed, but hasn't owned up to the sub-40kW experience/no throttle users. Hopefully someday Tesla will be more upfront with these kinds of things.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Idle speculation, perhaps the faster charge rate returns once the car is out of battery warranty?

Bob Wilson

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    even if they don't, there are several electrical/software types that have written their own programs, & done away with the Tesla ota system. Dovetailing Bob's lust for the VW van, iirc that's what these folks did - installing a Model S set of guts in their camper version;