1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Option Loading leads to $34,000 Prius

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Ormond, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Ormond

Ormond New Member

I am checking the availability of Prii in my area and I notice that the new inventory is loaded. For example:

Fuel Surcharge $11
    Accent Stripe-SA10 $78
    Cargo Net-PC10 $69
    Rear bumper protector-BP30 $158
    Ash Tray-AT10 $79
    Southeast Toyota Distributor Plus-FP50 $0
    Certified Technician 46 Point
    Final Quality Inspection
    Picture Asset Program
    Splashguards-MG10 $79
    Carpet Mats-PV10 $169
    Window Tint-TW50 $259
    Spyder Style Cargo Net-PC90 $69
    17" EFPC Wheel w/Pirelli Tires-WB70 $1,499
    Package #6 Includes: Smart Key System,-BCAT $5,065
    Leather Faced Seats w/Side Airbag-LA80 $1,298
    Carbon Fiber Appearance Dash - Prius-DF10 $279
    50 State Emissions-FEAT $0
    Dual Headrest DVD Entertainment System-EH20 $1,995
    Toyoguard Plus Protection Group-XY70 $699

The above doesn't include the $895 dealer markup. I am ready to :pukeright: or :guns:

Can you feel my pain??

2. Prius-a-rama

Prius-a-rama New Member

No waaaay!
    They're already making beaucoup bucks because MSRP is that much higher than invoice, so don't fuel the fire by paying for the options you don't want. Of course I'm expecting one with the carpet (which I definately wanted) the bumper applique (which is growing on me 'cause I'm likely to scrape my bumper with the junk I tend to lug around) and the glass breakage sensor (wasn't too thrilled about, but that also grew on me because I dont want someone cracking my window to take something inside... I dont know if the normal alarm would feel the car rock?)
    Maybe it'd be worth it to fly elsewhere to get a good deal? I'm going from SoCal to NoCal to get mine (knock on wood...)

3. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Nobody likes all of these charges, but most of them appear to be what whoever ordered the car wanted. I have bought many cars in the SE Toyota region and am familiar with each charge. My sales person told me when I ordered not to get certain options like window tinting from SE Toyota because I could obtain the options for less money locally. I have successfully avoided Toyoguard previously but I knew I couldn't avoid it on the Prius. This is simply a way for SE to make more money. Except for the Toyoguard, all of the items listed are what you pay retail anywhere on the internet. The kicker is the $895 dealer markup, absolutely no way!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $78 for a accent stripe decal?!?!? my dealer put it on our Corolla for free!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whew, 158 for the rear bumper protector?

We paid less than $30 for the thing and put it on ourselves...

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And for only $34,000 more, you can have a flawless, 2.26 carat, Asscher cut diamond inserted into the passenger vanity mirror to impress your lady friends with your ability to waste money on superfluous trinkets. :roll:

You could buy said rock and install it yourself for approximately $30,000 (not counting the cost of the Super Glue). Of course, if you have the dealer do it for you, they would tack on the extra $4,000 to cover the cost of courier service for delivery of the rock, instillation, insurance, interest, extra security guard fee and dealer mark-up on the extra $30,000 sale price. :?

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    79$ ashtray??

is this from a former military contractor?

8. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ormond:

Go to Toyota.com and build and price your Prius from the interactive menu. The prices for the actual Toyota extras are high, but much less than you report and lots of the stuff you listed is dealer procured junk at any price he can think of.

Run, don't walk, away. Check for high volume Toyota dealers in your area. I was surprised to find mine (Faulkner in suburban Philly) had Prius stock on hand and about a half dozen allocations every month. The secret, they said, is that total Toyota sales volume determines Prius allocation size.
    Their web ad reads MSRP, no wait list.
    And they delivered. Got the color and package I wanted and nothing I didn't want, except the cargo net and bumper protector which they threw in for free when I squaked.