1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options after a CAT theft

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by EzraBK, Jul 14, 2020.

1. EzraBK

EzraBK New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So, long story short, I am currently in SoCal for a summer internship (only another 3 weeks) and my cat was stolen last week. I am now in a predicament, fix it, sell it, or attempt to drive it back home to nebraska where I do not need a oem cat.
    That last option is why I am asking a question. Is it a terrible idea, or even possible, to drive my beloved prius back to nebraska from SoCal without a cat?
    I don't really want to spend 3k replacing the cat when I can get an aftermarket in my state. I know it is probably an awful idea to drive it that far, but is it possible or would it damage something?
    Any advice would be very appreciated as I am basically out of options at this point and selling it is starting to sound like the only option (or at least the only option that doesn't have me spending 3k for a new cat).

2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Suggestions:

1.) How about finding an exhaust shop just over the border in AZ or NV. Make sure that you are dealing with someone reputable (check reviews and BBB). Ship the non CA catalyst to the exhaust shop (or a mailbox place that you made arrangements with). Then have nonCA exhaust shop install the catalyst.

2.) Obtain flexible exhaust pipe (Walker 1.5"x 6' is part no.: 46971 and Jegs 2.0"x 6' has part no.: 555-319476 ) in the correct size.* Cut correct diameter flex pipe to length and then double clamp flex pipe on each end. If possible get someone to tack-weld the flex pipe to the remaining stubs of exhaust pipe (make sure both 12V and HV batteries are disconnected before welding begins). Should be able to drive all the way back to Nebraska with this rig.

3.) Rent a tow dolly for your car and a uhaul to tow your Gen2 to an exhaust shop in AZ or NV. Get the catalyst replaced in NV or AZ.

Let us know how you make out.

*- I am getting conflicting information on the correct ID diameter for pipe to replace the stolen catalyst. I have found both 1.5" and 2" listed as the correct ID. You will need to figure this out on your own or ask the forum.

PS According to Amazon, different universal catalyst part number apply to: i.) 2004-2006 Gen2s; and ii.) 2007-2009 Gen2s.

PriusCamper and edthefox5 like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent advice from yd. You will not be able to drive far without an exhaust system.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 for patching your exhaust and then driving home.

There's a heat shield under your car (presumably) where the pipe was cut and the cat removed - and MOST of your exhaust system is still there - so you CAN drive the car for a bit while you noodle all of this out.
    Car parts stores used to sell patch pipes to make a temporary repair in situations like this, but there's no telling what the LEOs out in the Kalifornia would do if you tried to buy one.
    They would probably do a door kick at 0300 and make you do a perp walk.
    THE REASON that locals do not just install a straight pipe to bypass the cat and put a piece of electrical tape over the check engine light is that they have to undergo smog checks.

So...
    Since you live in a state that (presumably) does not follow this practice, then you will be money ahead to drive out of state, WITH your Nebraska plate and get the exhaust repaired properly.
    Maybe drive home for a long weekend.....

Or?
    Simply take your car to a local muffler shop.
    A straight pipe connecting your exhaust pipe to the muffler will suffice for you to limp the car to a place where you do not have to comply with CARB - and they might help you out since your car (presumably) has out of state plates.

Me?
    I'd verify that it's a clean cut (as they almost always are) and drive the car as-is......but that's ME being me again.

Good Luck!

ydpplqbd likes this.
  5. tidesofthesky

tidesofthesky Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah definitely just drive out of state and get it done there. I have heard of people getting pulled over by CHP and written tickets for bypassing smog components- but that was most likely initiated by a loud exhaust or a car that has a 6 ft spoiler etc.

I would get a quick fix on there with some flexible exhaust tubing- you may even be able to find something that can be installed with bolts. That should quiet your exhaust down and get you where you need to go.

Your car will illuminate a check engine light- Code P0420 most likely- catalyst below efficiency. But that doesn't effect how the car drives at all. Even that can be turned off with an 02 sensor spacer.

All that to say- there's no mechanical reason not to drive it as is- just ecological, and there's virtually no risk of getting stopped or ticketed either.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Gorek and ydpplqbd like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are California mechanics forbidden from installing non-OEM cats even on visiting cars with out-of-state registrations? Cars that need repairs right now but that will leave before in-state registration and smog checks requirements come into play?

fotomoto and ydpplqbd like this.
  7. EzraBK

EzraBK New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow, thank you all for the recommendations! I am going to try to find a place that could install a temporary straight pipe. Hopefully there is somewhere close to where I live that will be willing to do it, then I will drive it back to Nebraska hopefully without any huge issues. If I can't find anywhere I might just attempt to do it myself.

fuzzy1 - From what I have been told the most mechanics in California will not install a non oem cat even in a case like mine. It's not even possible to get a non-oem cat shipped here from most places like amazon or other online auto stores (at least from what I have seen).

Data Daedalus and ydpplqbd like this.
  8. Calimobber

Calimobber Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh you can for sure can find a shop to install a non carb cat onto the car. Just find a website that will ship one to california and go find a little corner shop. They should not care since its no a califorinia car. Just be honest and say your visiting but gotta head home now and they are allowed in your state.

If if your worried just use those clamps and just do a temporary install and clamp the on carb one on.

FITS: 2004-2009 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.5L CATALYTIC CONVERTER DIRECT FIT | eBay

Just tell them you broke down in california but are not a resident and dont need to pass california emmisions.

#8 Calimobber, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Instead of ordering online, call and talk to an actual person and explain why you need it shipped to Ca. Companies that aren't shipping cats there probably do it because of all the previous returns by uniformed California owners.

Find an independent muffler shop to install.

10. Gorek

Gorek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,
    I have also suffered a victim of a catalytic converter theft in Poland. It is really painful to find your car in the shape like this.:(:mad:
    I am struggling to find the easy solution in this situation.:unsure: To be honest - I'm not as much concerned about restrictions, so I was thinking about using the straight pipe in the CAT body (example in the photo).
    Of course I am afraid to have the check engine light, but if there is some way to do this kind of repair and don't have the engine errors - I am almost sure I want to do that.:cool:
    It is not only the price thing... I just don't want to have thieves under my car again. Really bad feeling when you realize that some guys were forcing your car with the jack and some tools to make your live worse :cry:

What are you thinking about this? Does anybody make something like this?
    Almost everyone is telling to use "non-OEM" Catalytic converter, but there is almost no informations about "NO-CAT" solution.

Attached Files:

Socal_Prius likes this.