1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options for out-of-warranty Combination Meter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dragonrand, May 9, 2014.

1. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some of you may have already seen my thread about ending up on just the wrong side of the extended warranty on the combination meter. I've just been continuing to drive and it's worked 99% of the time, but it's starting to fail more often and in milder temperatures now, so I'd like to fix it.

Option 1 is of course dealer repair, meaning full price and possibly an open-ended timeframe during which I'd be driving a rental on my own dime.

I looked into Luscious Garage but was disappointed to learn they no longer facilitate repairs of the combo meters. But something I read somewhere alluded to the possibility that they could offer the same service as a dealership, removing the old meter, sending it in, and receiving the properly-programmed meter and installing it. Does anyone know if that's the case?

If it's true, I'm thinking I could engage them (or another shop if I can find one) to order my replacement meter. Depending on how difficult it is to access, I could remove it, ship it off, and wait for the new meter to come back. I liked their policy of providing loaner CMs while waiting for the turnaround.

I was told the dealer won't allow the car to be driven while the meter is out - to avoid charges of facilitating odometer fraud - but I don't know if that's true, or if forces would conspire to prevent me from driving the car meterless. I'd rather put a loaner in so I can drive normally until my meter comes back, if I can procure one.

On a related note, I've noticed my speedometer reads about 1.5-2% higher than actual speed. Does that mean my odometer reading is similarly skewed high? I've been loathe to drive any distance with the CM not working because I didn't want my ODO to be off, but if it's already reading high due to the speed inaccuracy, I figure I've actually got about 2,000-3,000 miles where I'll be bringing my car's ODO closer to *actual* driven mileage. If that's the case I won't sweat it if I have to drive for a week or two without my CM.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I believe that it was a PC member, pEEf, was the one who fixed combo meters for LG when they were doing this repair prior to Toyota issuing their extended warranty. Try to contact him about doing the repair.

JeffD

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's ironically funny that Toyota should not be willing to replace faulty combination displays for owners of any 04 and 05 Prius free of charge - forevah. After all, our displays freeze at 299,999 miles (or kilometers for Canadian models? - any Canucks out there in Priuschatland who can verify this?).

In fact, the Feds should have forced Toyota to recall and replace the combination meters since they do not accumulate mileage beyond 300K minus 1.

I hope my 05 lasts well beyond 300K-1. I can claim it has just past 300K miles even if it has 400K miles actual. After all, 2fas4you put 500K miles on his 08? Gen 2 before switching to a Prius v, and the odo in his car displayed the actual mileage.

So in summary, shame on Corporate for being such cheapskates to early Gen 2 Prius owners.

No, what a feeling. Drop dead Toyota.

4. OBJUAN

OBJUAN Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Oct 2018, Matt at Texas hybrid batteries tells me the Canadian CM's do not have the ODO limit.
    My 05 is at 408089km, the 300K mi would be 480K km. I put an 09 CM in anyway, Matt helped
    with the ODO file correction.

bisco likes this.