1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options obfuscate pricing. I'm confused

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by NTB, Jun 5, 2007.

1. NTB

NTB Junior Member

Well, could they make it any more confusing? I'm looking at an '07 package 2. Simple enough. Now comes the part that hits me square in the center of my attention deficit. The wife wants leather. I can't find the additional cost of leather anywhere. To get the extra trinkets I want, the salesman says I need to add "Selected Options and Packages" BO and P4. I find nothing that lists the price of BO or P4.

They want 24,750 for this car with the above add ons. TT&L will be extra. This looks to be about 2K high from what I can tell from reading this forum...but I have no idea what I should be charged for BO, P4, and leather.

You folks have any idea?

2. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

To get selected, specific options instead of the very few "popular package" collections out there, you're pretty much looking at a custom order that will be built that way in your color combo at the factory. I don't know if they are even doing this now - they might be,since there is more production capacity and the catch-up-to-demand production scramble has largely passed.

Still, I think not every dealer could or would take a custom order, even if you're a steady customer. Too much risk.

That said, the only place I see leather seats is package 6. If you're getting leather and your price off the lot is under $27K, you're doing better than I'd expect.

Cheers,
    Bob

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NTB @ Jun 5 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]456262[/snapback]</div>
    NTB, I don't think you can pick & choose options. They come in packages. If you don't want all the extra stuff between package 2 and the top of the line (which is the only one that has factory leather) then take the car and get aftermarket leather in the color, style, and quality you want. You won't find a price for dealer installed leather because it is a private deal between an upholsterer and the dealer. What are the other "trinkets" you want?

4. NTB

NTB Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and pulled the trigger, without trying to figure out every penny. 1/2 tank in at 43.3 mpg. Happy so far.

5. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

that's always been one of my biggest gripes about toyota.... their stupid packages! NOT being able to get what you... the consumer wants... but what THEY want you to have! AND to make it worse.... on a lot of their vehicles.... certain packages not being available in certain parts of the country!

i guess we got spoiled when we custom ordered hubby's dodge truck several years ago.... we sat down with the fleet guy.... picked what hubby wanted... and got THAT EXACT truck! nothing we didn't want.... everything we wanted! it was nice to order a car that way!

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Jun 29 2007, 08:31 AM) [snapback]470047[/snapback]</div>
    There are two reasons that Toyota offers option packages instead of individual options.

First is efficiency of production. It is quicker and considerably cheaper to produce fewer variations of options combinations.

Second, Toyota's Prius supply chain is a lot longer than that of the domestic manufacturers. You'd have to wait considerably longer for delivery of a custom ordered car from Japan than for a GM, Ford or Chrysler product coming from Detroit (or wherever the North American assembly plant is located).