1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options Presented at PICK UP

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Freedom, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought this may be of interest to others preparing to pick up their Prius. I am sure each dealer has their own offerings, but this gives you some idea of what you may see. These are Options Presented at Pick Up.

This is the print out I was presented with, by the FINANCE PERSON, when I went to pick up my new 2008 Prius. NONE of this was discussed before hand, and seems it should be as there is a bit of money involved. (Having been here on Prius Chat during my 2 month wait, I did not select any of these.)

The Prepaid Maintenance can ONLY be picked up that day. One time offer, not available once you drive the car off their lot.

Resistall can be picked up later, but for the fabric protection you must first pay $1000 to have the entire inside cleaned. :rolleyes: And you cannot get the paint protection without the fabric protection.

The security system sounded similar to lo-jack.

The FINANCE PERSON becomes involved in the selling of this. When I turned down these options, he said several times, "You are taking this Prius unprotected." :eek: I really didn't appreciate that, as the sales floor and the finance areas are distinctly separated, at the dealership I was at. (Thank goodness for Prius Chat!) Neither the sales person nor the sales manager ever mentions any of this leading up to the final pick up.

Attached Files:

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    man, tell him to shove it, you can get the extended warranty until your 3 years/36000 miles are up

yes after carefully reading the brochure you have posted, i believe the correct answer is shove it

3. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    guidepoint is a transferrable version of lojack which uses gps and cellular phones to track the vehicle. if its a non theft incidint there is a service fee involved in the tracking. the car will need line of sight to the sky to be tracked.

the odds of actually getting your prius stolen is probably 1 in 75,000.

lojack would set you back about 699.00, it is not limited to line of sight, but you would have to be in a lo jack area. i don't think lojack
    offers non theft vehicle tracking (like if your teenage son is out) like guidepoint

other options i would reccomend are:
    1) the extended warranty from prius chat for 980 for 100,000 miles 7 years with a zero deductible. this also comes with 4 years of roadside assistance, i believe.
    2) 3m invisible film for the paint for about 700.00 from any window tint shop
    3) having your alarm activated ( u might be able to score this for free) in a package 2 or less, or having the glass breakage sensor installed (165.00) in a package 3 or more

the prius is more prone to vandelism and smash ins then actual vehicle theft
    but there are still about 20 prius cars stolen each year

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You did exactly the right thing: smile and say "no" until they go away. They wait until the last moment to spring this junk precisely because they don't want you to have much time to think about what worthless cr@p it is.

Note that prepaid maintenance is not the same thing as an extended warranty. They're both a waste of money, but they waste it in different ways :_>

5. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if something happens then the extended warranty isnt a waste!

i think ill write a letter to toyota about the 1250 i paid for the prepaid maintenance
    and see if i can score some more coupons

its proabably to late to refund it on a pro rated basis because of the amount of service i got already

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, sure, *if* enough somethings happen. But extended warranties are insurance policies, so they are priced so that on average they make a profit for the seller. On average the buyer can expect to lose money. With a platinum extended warranty on a Prius the average buyer will get back less than $500 worth of repairs. Individuals may get more or less. It's more profitable for a prospective buyer to take the cost of an extended warranty and bank it, buy a CD, or invest it until it might be needed.

Considering the prepaid maintenance stories told in the forums it seems that the typical buyer gets about half the value of services the Prius actually needs. In 55 months and 31,000 miles I've spent $240 on all scheduled maintenance (not including new tires, but your prepaid maintenance doesn't include new tires either).

7. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He hee, and each and every one of you who has posted already HAS your Prius!:p I hope some folks on the Wait List see this, to help educate themselves. You really don't need this stuff, not from the dealer at the dealer mark ups.

8. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i got the extended warranty primary because it was really cheap here, but now knowing that the extended warranty covers the suspension system, i am more for it.

its my personal bet that the first thing to go out would be the MFD or the MFD's Backlight, so i figure i have a good chance of actually using it

9. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Freedom, I got almost exactly the same treatment at Miller Toyota here in Anaheim, from the Finance Manager too, with no heads-up from the Sales guy either. The Sales guy was their Fleet manager, since I purchased my Prius through Costco's reference arrangement back in September 2007. I was lucky in that no waiting lists for the car existed then.
    If I had taken all the crap the dealer was trying to push, the car would have cost me $6600 more. They use the fear-factor argument too, hoping your ignorance will push you into accepting. I declined all of it. This extended warranty schtick has become a favorite way for companies trying to maximize their profit, at your expense.

PS. I paid cash for the car too, which took them by surprise!

10. pviebey

pviebey New Member

That's really tacky. I would have commented about the Toyota existing warranty, Toyota's reputation for high quality. And then I would have commented I realllllllly dislike pushy sales people, and he'd need to stop now.

My typical response to this type of approach is to take my toys and go home. If you've been waiting for a Prius that's harder, but it's a SALES GIMMICK. They make lots of markup on these 'Dealer add-ons'.

11. NovaBimmer

NovaBimmer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    :rofl: at paint protection....we apply that at the body shop for free. Wax Your car and be done with it