1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Order Deposits

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wakeman84, Jan 21, 2006.

1. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

I have been in the process of getting my name on a waiting list at several dealerships for a magnetic grey prius when they come out and after talking to this last dealer I am a little worried. I was under the impression that the deposits were refundable if I decided not to buy the car before it came. However, a dealership today told me that the deposit was non-refundable. I am just worried now that I will not be able to get my deposits back from the dealers that I decided not to buy from. I never signed any contract and was never made aware of the fact that the deposits would be non-refundable so I'm thinking that either that is a policy specific to that dealership or I will be able to get out of the other ones since I never signed anything. Anybody have any experience with this? Funny thing is one dealership told me that they required no deposit. You would think that there would be some kind of corporate policy governing this but oh well. Thanks.

Mike

2. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was on several lists before I got my Prius at the first of January. Some dealers required deposits. When I asked to confirm it was refundable one salesman said that Toyota does not allow non-refundable deposits. Take that as you will, I guess.

I found that the dealerships that had my deposit responded more quickly to my requests for status. Ironically, I ended up getting my Prius from one of the dealers that didn't have a deposit!

I got my all of my deposits back within a few days. One of the salesmen was on vacation for two weeks, but the dealership was monitoring his e-mail, and they sent me the refund without me having to call and work it out with someone else. That was a pleasant surprise.

fd

3. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I put down a deposit as well, but I signed a contract (which said it was non-refundable) and paid using a credit card.

When I got a car from another dealer, I skipped the salesmen and went right to the Finance guy at the dealership and politely requested a refund. I had a list of arguments ready but they simply had me sign a contact release and credited my card on the spot.

First, I can't imagine a dealership taking a deposit without a contract. And I also can't imagine a reputable dealership withholding a deposit on a non-custom car that they can sell in a minute. I would *demand* my money back. You can do a lot more damage to a dealer's reputation than it's worth their while. I would politely suggest this to them. Mention the internet and sites like here and GreenHybrid.

If they refuse and you used a credit card then you should contest the charge. If you used a check then you should go to your state's better business. But I bet it won't come to that.

Good luck!

4. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I paid with a credit card over the phone as I am unable to get the options package that I would like (package 6) where I live (sc) and am going to have to buy in virginia. Thanks.

Mike

5. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

What dealership told you that as I think I will call the Toyota Hot line to ask about this policy and clear it up for everyone who may be wondering. Thanks.

MIke

6. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I don't remember. But, all were very assertive that the deposit was refundable, and I had absolutely no problem getting any back.
    fd

7. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last time I looked at the Toyota color sheet, the Magnetic Gray had been moved from spring to Jan 2007. On the Toyota site to build your car, it is not listed for the 06 Prius.

8. sseres

sseres New Member

I put down $500 at Tonkin in East Portland that got me a small piece of paper that indicated it was refundable. However, I drove the car off the lot and didn't ever have to see if i could get my money back. I'd think if you were really worried and had put it on your credit card, you'd have 30 days to tell the bank to reverse the charge if it became an issue. I only had to wait for 8 weeks to get my '06, tho.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Data point:

I have a *refundable* Visa deposit down for mine. Only at one dealer.

10. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

Where did you see that at? It stills shows up as being available in may 2006 here
    http://www.toyota.com/prius/color.html. Thanks.

Mike