1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ordered a Zenn

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by chap0223, Jul 3, 2009.

1. chap0223

chap0223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was tired of waiting for EESTOR. A couple of questions for those with a Zenn.

When I test drove, I noticed the regenerative brakes took a ton of speed away. It seems like it would do more harm (slow too fast and make you accelerate again) than good (recharge the battery).

Would you recommend disabling the regenerative braking?

Anyone replace battery packs yet?

Supposedly I'll have it in two weeks, so I'm getting pretty excited.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello

I have owned a 2008 Zenn for almost a year. I know what you mean about regen. I am seriously considering having it removed. It is an electronic switch so it can be restored as easily as it is removed. But I have noticed on my PakTrakr (with ammeter) that I am getting regen both from braking and slowing without power. It might reduce my range to remove the regen. I strongly recommend PowerCheq battery balancers to keep the charge levels of the batteries even. Half of those who bought Zenns where I did have had "premature" battery failure due to imbalanced batteries. Find out more about PowerCheqs at Home Page.

My car is low mileage at 1000 miles. I am still on the original pack and I hope it stays that way for a good long time. Actually, I am quite pleased with the performance, but I am an old guy who is easily pleased.

I, also, hope that Eestor will produce something useful. I am not holding my breath. That causes one to get blue in the face.

Regards

Allan

4. chap0223

chap0223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the info. Just to clarify: I would need 5 of the $58 modules?

Where did you hear about powerCheq balancing system? Did you wire it yourself?

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello

I learned about it from Sean Rarey the owner of GPEV. I bought my first EV (a ZAP) from him. He has a nice write up on it on his web site. He goes into detail about why it is necessary and how he came to that conclusion. Sean is really a "straight shooter". He has earned my trust. Yes, you need five PowerCheq units. And yes I installed my own.

There is a Zenn Yahoo list which is very helpful here:
    zennEV : zenn
    If you want to PM me, I will be glad to assist you.

Good luck!

Allan

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will chime in here. I own a Zap Xebra and I have ridden in Allan's Zenn. The Xebra, with its three wheels, is much more of an eye-catcher, but Allan's Zenn (the version with the AC motor governed at 35 mph) accelerates much faster than my Xebra, and is more comfortable. I'd recommend the Zenn, but do take Allan's advice about battery management. Lead batteries are finicky, and if not treated right, will die a premature death.