1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ordering 2009 Prius or waiting for the 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dr_Prius, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Dr_Prius

Dr_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would like to buy a Prius but do not know if I should wait for 2010 or order the 2009 now.

Here's my situation:

I am not in a real need to get a car until September 2009. Even if I were to get a car, my travelling will be less than 8000KM for the year. Most of these routes will be covered by buses so I can survive without a car. Next year this time however, I will do a lot more travelling which makes a car necessary. I must get a car by Sept 09, so the timing of the availability of the 2010 Prius will also be important, too.

Here's my understanding:

2009 will be a really stable model, but the resale value might be affected (another post suggested it wouldn't matter).

2010 might be relatively less stable and also at a higher price but will "look new" (thus better resale price) for a next little while.

Here's my question:

I would really like to get my hands on one of these cars. However, with the new redesigned model together with new hybrids from other manufacture, I am wondering if I should wait and see how well each of them will perform or jump right in and get the 09 now.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, Dr_Prius!
    A tough choice. Personally, were I in your position, I'd wait. The 2010 may have substantially better fuel efficiency. Depending on your upcoming need to travel, perhaps an electric car will be right for you. But keep an eye on delivery times. You wouldn't want to get forced into acquiring a car you didn't really want because you had to travel.

3. effwitt

effwitt Paparazzi Magnet

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You might need to play a few "what if" games. If the new generation Prius costs $5000 more and gets 5 mpg better fuel economy, which will make better economic sense for me to buy? Hopefully by March the new model price and specifications will be out for you to make an informed decision.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I were only going to be driving 8000 KM a year (which is less then 5000 miles) I would look to buy an older used vehicle such as a 7 year old Camry, Accord, Civic, or Corolla.