1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ordering Now Help. Rate Options/Packages 1=least 10=must

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tadzue, Feb 29, 2004.

1. tadzue

tadzue New Member

The options all sound wonderful but I want to stretch my $. What do you absolutelyl need (besides the basic auto) and what is fluff?

I don't want to waste my money but I don't want go without if you already-owners deem it important. I am a first time buyer and am confused.

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in the same place you are when I ordered my car originally back in August. I was trying to save money. Boy I am glad I changed my mind. I ended up getting the BC package 9. It is great! The Smart Start system is incredibly cool. The side aid bags a must. That was one item I was going to get no matter what. I turned down a package 8 because of it. The side air bags also lowered my insurance. I haven't even started playing with the navigator yet, but I know I am going to love it. The sound system in the BC is great. I love being able to play my tapes again.

In the past, I never would have allowed myself to accept the most expensive package. Some of us, and I certainly fall into this category, are always trying to save money when we make a purchase. I have almost always regretted going for the less expensive but not as good product. I didn't do that this time and I'm glad I didn't.

Just my two cents.

Jeff

3. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

I'd first say that the smart start is great and almost a necessity. Based off what I've seen I'm sure that coastal dave will have an addon for it in the future. I would put it as a need. (Or more accurately, a want just like the car is pretty much a want.)

The navigation is more a distraction than a total help. It is fun to have a map at your convience though so YOU can do the routing. Nav lady is at best a good way to keep you on your toes. I would put that as fluff.

Stereo is actually a tad bit better than when I test drove my first one (maybe they didn't set it correctly) with the same CDs. I pumped up the speakers on my first test drive. Mine handles bass so much better than the test drive vehicle. So, I would say the high zoot radio is a good option. But then again, coastal dave might have an option for you as well. I would put it as a need unless you really don't listen to multiple CDs and are going to do a mod in the future then it is fluff.

Help?

Xo

4. cybele

cybele New Member

It depends greatly on what you're going to use the car for.

I got the BI package (#6) and it's perfect for me. It has the additional airbags and smart start/entry.

The SS/SE is an amazing feature. Not necessary, but one of the best things about the car and it really sets it apart from others. It's a huge help when you arrive at your car in the rain with bags of groceries. No fumbling with the keys or fob. I give it a 10

The added airbags are a big question. The few people who have totalled their cars and posted their experiences (they all escaped injury) said that the airbags were not engaged - their accidents weren't the type that trigger them. I figure they're worth it if I ever need them and I get a small break on my insurance for having them. I give it a 10

I didn't want or need an improved stereo system. It's better than the stock version, but it's really a matter of personal preference. I give it a 2

The NAV, Bluetooth and Homelink are not important to me. I have no garage, I know where I'm going and I don't talk on my cell phone in the car. I give them all a 2.

Rear wiper - very helpful. Not essential, but it comes with just about every package and is neccesary if you live in snow country or will ever travel where it might snow. I give it a 9.

If you live in an area with snow or fog, I'd say the VSC and fog lights are a very good option to include. That package was not available in LA, though I probably would have accepted it.

I have no regrets about my package choice, it's more than I needed and was very well priced. All my other cars were base models and I've always been happy with them, but I'm a bit older now and should have the fun things every once in a while, so when the AF package (just airbags) wasn't available in SoCal, I accepted a car with more than I wanted, instead of less.

5. Fredo

Fredo Junior Member

I agree. For the $600 or so that the side airbags add, they're a must. i don't know why they're not standard on all cars by now. The rear wiper costs about $180, and is included in most packages. I think it's worth it even if you only use it occasionally, and it will help the resale value if you ever sell it.

The Smart Entry/Smart Start is a really really cool toy! It's not a necessity, but if you can afford it at all, I know you'll love it and impress you friends and neighours.

I got package #6, so it includes all of the above. My bias is to say they're important, and the other options weren't worth it to me. The rest depend on what's important to you. If you're not into geek toys, the SE/SS may not be as impostant to you.

I've never had a car with ABS beforeand was not particularly interested in the ABS, traction controll, or VCS. The ABS and traction controll are standard. Based on very litle experience, I'm not too impressed with the ABS, but I didn't expect to be. And the manual says the braking distances with ABS may be longer than the same car without ABS. The ABS isn't particularly bad, but I grew up in Wisconsin, and learned to drive on slippery roads. The traction controll I did like a lot, which surprised me. I didn't get the VCS, but there have been several posts saying that it's great.

The base stereo is probably better than any other car I've owned. If a high quality stereo is important tor you, you may want the upgraded stereo. Especially since the strereo is integrated to the video display, I don't know how easy it will be to upgrade.

If you want the nav system, but didn't want the rest of the high end options, you can get a handheld GPS/NAV system for a couple hundred dollars. Thay have all the featuresof the built in system, except thatthe screen will not be as large.

6. silver_prius04

silver_prius04 New Member

I am a functional kind of guy. I went in for AI pacakage, mainly because I was interested in the upgraded sound system, side airbags and the anti-theft system. I would have gone in for the Smart Start/Smart entry system as well, but then I had to go in for #8 or #9 which would have cost me $2000-$3000 more! I don't even ask for directions, so a navigation system is a waste for me. Even without the SS/SE system, the car is pretty cool with the fob. Good luck!

silver_prius04

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the package #7.

The rear wiper is important, but of limited use since it cleans only a portion of the already-too-small rear window. I'd advise getting it.

Air bags are a safety feature. Chances are miniscule they'll ever deploy, but if they're needed they may save your life. Get them!

Anti-theft system: depends on where you live. Not much crime in Fargo, so I don't need it. You'll have to make your own judgement, but this is not specific to the Prius.

Auto-dimming mirror and Homelink garage-door opener are toys. Not necessary.

Smart-start/smart-entry are fabulous, but not necessary if you need to save money. In cold weather (e.g. 40 degrees below zero) it is really, really nice not to have to fumble with a key. But if you've always used a key you can live with a key. I advise getting it, but objectively it's not necessary.

I don't like high-intensity headlights. I don't want to blind the other driver. However, this option comes with VSC, which is very useful and important on our slippery streets. If you live anywhere the streets are sometimes slippery I would advise getting the VSC.

I have never heard the upgraded sound system. The standard sound system is fantastic. Based on what others have said, if you are an audiophile you may want the upgraded system. Note that the standard system has a CD player but not a cassette player. If you need the cassette (e.g. to listen to audio books on long drives) you may want the upgraded sound system.

I do not have the NAV system/Bluetooth. Even hands-free, talking on the phone is a distraction and a safety issue. I find a place to park if I must use my cell phone. People have reported problems with the NAV system. Sounds to me as though it's far from perfected, but some folks like it. My opinion is that it's a toy, not a necessity, but that may depend on your driving. If you frequently must go to hard-to-find or unfamiliar places, it may be worth the cost for you. I once got lost in a strange city and a NAV system would have been great. But mostly I don't need it. You'll have to decide based on how often you find yourself in that kind of situation. How often do you get lost while driving? If the answer is never, then the NAV is an unnecessary toy. If the answer is frequently, then you should get the NAV.

Traction control and ABS brakes are not options. They are standard. And in my opinion they are a necessity. I have slammed on the brakes on a slippery street and the car stayed rock-steady. That can save your life. However, I should note that since I also have VSC, that may have been operating also and may be a factor in keeping the car so steady. I don't know. It was an emergency stop and I don't remember if the VSC beeper went off.

Fredo (above) is mistaken: ABS does not increase your stopping distance! Slippery roads increase your stopping distance. The caution about ABS and stopping distance is that even with ABS you still must drive slowly and leave plenty of stopping room when the roads are slippery. A car with ABS does NOT take longer to stop than a car without. Rather, if the ABS engages, your stopping distance will be longer than it would be on a dry road. But in that case a car without ABS would take even longer to stop and would probably go out of control at the same time. Since ABS pumps the brakes faster than you would be able to, it maintains control while giving you the shortest stopping distance the road conditions allow. But it is very important to understand that this will be longer than on dry roads and you have to drive accordingly. On glare ice any car will slide forever.

My '89 Civic did not have ABS (was not available back then). So I used studded tires in winter. The Prius with ABS, VSC, and traction control, and the stock tires, handles much better than the Civic did with studded tires.

Of course, if you live in the desert, none of that will matter to you.

Hope this helps.

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I went for number 7 option because it represented the best safety investment and less fluff of all the packages. 9 would be great, but I couldn't afford the extra 3k (you can buy a lot of maps for 3k). My priority was safety, and I think I made the best decision I could. Insurance goes down with these options too.
    When you consider skidding on an icy road without VSC, would having a 6CD changer ease your anxiety?
    Bob

9. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

Option #9 is a must, if only because of the value. You would be hard-pressed to find any other vehicle that packs so many options into a relatively inexensive package. Keyless entry/start, HID headlights, NAV, side-curtain airbags, VSC, 6 CD changer, and all of the other options would be found on vehicles priced $10K to $30K more than the 2004.

How much do you think the similarly equipped Highlander and hybrid version of the Lexus RX330 are going to price out at?