1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ordering without extras?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by phartin, Apr 21, 2009.

1. phartin

phartin Cookie Monster

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that pricing is announced, I'm going to be looking to order my new 2010 Prius soon. I looked at getting on a waiting list several months ago and the salesman was trying to claim that they wouldn't be able to get one without some of the common extras like the Vehicle Shield Package and stuff like that. In all, he tried to get me to sign on for about $1k in extra options that I didn't want.

So my question is, when you order a Prius do they configure one specifically for you, or does the dealer just go in and pick one that's already built that best fits what you one?

I really want to get a Prius III with no extra options and I'm not sure of whether it's reasonable to expect that or if I should just suck it up and deal.

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It really depends on the dealership. Some will order a car specifically as you request with no add-ons. Other dealerships include rust-proofing, scotchguard and other dealer installed extras on every vehicle they sell. Some dealerships simply won't order a car for you at all and expect you to purchase from their inventory.

If you are looking for a $21,000 Prius package 1 with no options, I suspect it will be difficult to find. I really doubt Toyota will make very many of them but is instead offering a limited number in order to be able to advertise a low starting price.

My advise is to call around and ask different dealerships if they will order a Package 1 for you. If you call enough dealers you will find one that will work with you and get you the car you want.

3. phartin

phartin Cookie Monster

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I'm looking for a Package 3, not Package 1, so hopefully that increases my odds some. I'll start calling around I guess.