1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oregon legalizes gasoline self-service

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by fuzzy1, Aug 6, 2023.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TGrracie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    After seeing the attendant let several ounces of gas dribble down the side of the car when removing the dispenser, i have not been keen on getting gas in NJ.

Chucky500 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the purpose of self serve bans?

we used to fill up in jersey on the way to florida. they used to be the cheapest. now, we wait until virginia

CR94 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    they claim attendance make refueling safer.
    By the same ridiculousness gas stations ought to be required to change the oil - the wipers & the air & cabin filter ..... you know .... to make sure it's done right & avoid some degree of danger. Then again consider the attendant that blew the burst disk out of my 3,800psi scuba tank while he was trying to push 5,000 PSI into it.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Bob Wilson

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    .... and for safety, that's why scuba tanks have a burst disc.
    ;)

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Officially? Safety, jobs, and convenience.

Unofficially? Laziness, the ick factor, and convenience. Push all the exposure to cold, wetness, dirt, and potentially hazardous fumes and skin contacts onto the service caste of people.

My reason for wanting to do my own self service even when full service is available? Competence, safety, and convenience.

In my past neighborhoods, the most deadly fueling accident (4 senior citizens traveling from Vancouver BC) was indeed at a self-service station, but the last person to handle the pump before the fire was an attendant, not a customer.

My forced full-service experiences included one who walked past the fuel filler door and tried to yank off the rear license plate, one who set the gas cap down in a pool of water, and one who caused an overflow gusher by trying to top up after I instructed otherwise. Even after topping up was banned in Oregon, one did it to my Prius anyway because it took only 5 gallons, after I explicitly told the first attendant that it would take just about 5 gallons. The second said they always pull the lever again if the initial nozzle cutoff happens at less than 10 gallons. But my Prius can't that much! And safety experts always say to not walk away during refueling, yet these attendants always walk away!

Chucky500 likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the past, gas pump nozzles and carbon vapor capture cylinders were not so advanced:
    • using a diesel nozzle to fill a gas tank
    • unreliable nozzle hold' latches that would gush out gas
    • large bulky, unreliable gas fume capture boots to reduce hydrocarbon emissions
    • easily saturated, automotive carbon filled, vapor capture cylinders
    When the technology lags, a human can substitute until invention makes them redundant. BUT I'll always go for self-service.

Bob Wilson

#9 bwilson4web, Aug 6, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... I forgot to mention another reason to avoid service attendants: over my and my mother's life, multiple attempts by attendants to defraud customers. Tires seemed to be a favorite, but other channels were also attempted.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Who here remembers the unbelievable sight of the Gen 2 Prius vomiting back as much as ½ a gallon of gas when the tank's bladder was overfilled (or not!) - attendant or driver's finger on the pump - the prius didn't care who's pumping.
    Good times!
    ;)

12. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This whole thing about the "horrible" pump jockeys....Meh.

I found most of them very helpful and many of them cleaning windshields, etc. without ever being asked. And, not only myself, but many friends and co-workers. No problems. No gushing gasonline. A few had to be educated about not going past shut-off with the Prius, but they were down with that issue.

Having to wait. What maybe two minutes, O.K., double that, maybe five minutes. What? Are you SO important that you have to be off so quickly. Slow down, mellow out. It's Oregon. Land of natural wonders and a mellow lifestyle. If you want hassle, vibe and all the rest, go to San Francisco. I hear housing prices are dropping like rocks there at the moment.

But, the jobs created are important. When the Oregon economy went straight down the tubes as federal woodlands were taken off the table -- except for the insulated rich in Portland -- the gas pump jobs were the only thing that saved many families....not in a good way, but at least they could eat and did not join a tent community under an Interstate 5 overpass.

So, yeah. I NEVER had a problem with them and as I say, nor did my friends, co-workers etc.

We all loved no self-serve. Still do. No self-serve IS OREGON. As well as several other quirks. Don't like the slower lifestyle. Try Cali.
    kris

As a PS, I guess Gov. Kotek, despite misgivings, gave in to the oil company lobby and signed the bill legalizing self-serve. It is funny how Chevron, etc. dangled this lure and how the gullible finally gulped it. Maybe that means Oregon has passed the tipping point of California transplants (know that I am not necessarily against California transplants and I am native Oregonian).

#12 cyberpriusII, Aug 8, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've heard the no self serve has kept the direct corporate run stations out of NJ. Not willing to pay extra for employees. Well, Hess likely had a couple, but they are no longer in the retail side, and I think they moved their corporate headquarters out of Jersey before then.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I'd rather chip my OWN paint off the car - if someone has to do it w/ gas nozzle.
    The job skill set is on par w/ the dude that hands out bathroom hand towels in the high end restaurants / hotels & entertainment joints.
    Yea, no thanks - the roll paper is just fine.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    around here, you'd never find anyone to do the job

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We’ll you’ve got enough immigrants the MA Governor asked for Federal help.

Call Florida and Texas and ask them to send some.

Bob Wilson

17. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bought gas for decades in Oregon and never had any "chipped" paint or overflow issues. Sure, sometimes I have to wait a bit. No big deal. I always get out of the car and walk a bit and stretch. I have even been known to tip especially helpful attendants -- whom are ALWAYS happily surprised since they don't expect tips.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Governors always ask for free money, even when there isn’t a problem.
    Plus, you Can’t make an immigrant pump gas, that would be xenophobic

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... Plus, immigrants can't legally work until they get the proper work status. Undocumented immigrants can't legally work, asylum seekers with still-pending cases have a long waiting period before they can work.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting as I've been following a YouTube series about WW-II POWs. Once they got sorted by rank, the enlisted became farm workers ... immediately.

Bob Wilson