1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OREGON members how do you get your tanks filled all the way since station fills your cars in Oregon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 93dawg, Oct 4, 2014.

1. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

SW WASHINGTON the real Washington (Bought 08/15/14
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The title says it all. OREGON members how do you get your tanks filled all the way since station personnel fills your cars in Oregon.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    hopefully, the pump jockeys don't keep squeezing the handle after it clicks off because if gas gets outside the bladder in the tank it will be an expensive repair.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you ever heard that one "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade"?

I'd be grateful if a full service attendant just filled to the first shut-off. It's my preferred method. Filling to the top gains you nothing, increases the odds of spillage, might mess up vapour collection components, and so on.

FWIW, I live in a district of Greater Vancouver still in the dark ages: full service only. Think I've filled up here once in 25+ years.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, when I was researching Hybrids and Prius before my next new car purchase, Oregon's non-self serve gas law, was one of the primary reasons I wanted to wait until the Gen 3 Prius that does NOT have the gas bladder.

I'm actually FOR the law. I think it creates jobs and I like NOT having to pump my gas. BUT...if you have a vehicle with "issues" such as the Gas Bladder in the Gen 2 Prius, it could be a PIA.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "good jobs at good wages"

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Obviously Gas Station Attendant isn't the most glamorous or highest paying job.

But the positions are filled. So there are people that for whatever reason, need and value those jobs. Young kids, College Students...people perhaps trying to put their life back together.

I'm not for taking those opportunities out of the job pool.

And as I said, I kind of like NOT having to pump my own gas. It is a nice convenience.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing, a job like that, it's kinda like working as an x-ray technician, without shielding. :(

My 2 cents, if it wasn't legislated, full service would be relegated to an optional service, not at all stations, just for people who really need it.

8. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you Medel about full service should be optional.

My tank doesn't get full even if the fuel valve is set to run as slow as possible and one stops pumping on the first shut off. Running that way it always comes up a couple of gallons short of full. From then on I do it by hand running it as slow as I can until it shuts off automatically. That way I think my tank is pretty nearly full.

The reason I asked this question is we are taking a trip to Southern Oregon and so I wanted to know how Oregon Gen II Prius owners handled getting a their tanks full because they sure don't get full if one doesn't go any further than the first auto shut off.

I wonder if anybody has modified a Gen II Prius by changing out the gas tank to a Gen III tank??? I wonder if that would even be possible???

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything is possible...$$$$$:cool:

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    93dawg, sorry I overlooked you have second gen with the bladder tank issues.

11. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem Mendel. The same goes for anybody else who might not have realized that I have a 2006 Prius.

I was hoping to get more responses from Oregon owners explaining how they handle the problem with Prius that have the bladder in their tank actually getting their tanks all the way full if and when they really want the tank full.

#11 93dawg, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oregon same as NJ, which we go to NJ all the time.

NJ has some of the cheapest gas in the nation and it is the more expensive EPA RFG boutique blend, so having the attendants doesn't seem to add to the cost, also they seem to be fast.

>>>AFAIK there is no difference to the attendant waiting for the pump nozzle to click off, and the consumer waiting for it click off. It's bad practice to keep pumping after that first click, yes I am bad too: I do try sometimes, but at least my car, I can't get any more gaso in there.

I have been recently been studying my Gen2 fill-ups...sometimes I get a really good fill-up and the first "pip" can last up to about 150-155 miles normalized to 50 MPG. The subsequent 9 "pips" only average about 30-35 miles (normalized to 50 MPG). But usually the tank does not seem to fill completely, and the first "pip" only lasts 50 miles or so, and I get lousy cruising range on that tank. I have no idea why sometimes it fills more....the last time I got a really good fill-up it was only 70F outside so its not hot weather per se, although below 60F I'd say its really stinky chances to get a good fill-up.

13. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad we can't buy Prius gas tanks that don't have the bladder in them and install them in our Prius.