1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Organic Foods

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by TimBikes, Jan 24, 2007.

?
  1. All of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Most of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some of the time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rarely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just curious if people buy organic, how frequently, and why or why not?

2. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Jan 24 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]380293[/snapback]</div>

I have been slowly entering into the organic foods realm. It started with shade grown coffee and organic tea about a year ago, but now includes all of my fruits and vegetables and a lot of dry goods such as speghetti and speghetti sauce. Still, my meat is standard hormone injected week old supermarket meat. I suggest to my non organic friends to start with something small, such as organic bananas which are only 10 cents a pounds more expensive (and bananas are cheap anyways), and then the next shopping trip, look for some other organic replacement such as coffee, and so on. Just start with one item and expand and soon enough, half of your groceries might be organic. It especially helps that most supermarkets carry a lot of organic foods now, it makes it all less threatening.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I can, and it makes sense.

All organic foods are NOT created equal, of course. I buy LOCAL organic product. Not the Wal*Mart variety. Most of what I eat is grown within a bicycle's ride away from my home.

4. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I buy Organic milk, not for the organic side of it but instead because organic is the only type I have found that is Ultra-Pasteurized so that it lasts longer. Since I travel a lot on short notice, the extra cost is easily made up by not having to throw out milk constantly. And it also means I go to the store for milk less often.

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We make an effort to grow, buy and consume locally. This means our own large organic garden and organic produce from local growers. NOT the big box Wal-mart types. Every effort is made to minimize our carbon footprint.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I purchase organic, over conventional, any time it's offered. I support Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's with my organic purchases. I've been trying to locate a vendor that's both reliable and local but haven't yet been successful.

7. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 24 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]380312[/snapback]</div>
    How does one determine what is local vs. not? I buy some organic when it is close in price or I feel otherwise compelled, but have not noticed what is locally produced - though I'd like to pay more attention to that. There was a somewhat disheartening article in BusinessWeek a few months ago that manufacturers are sourcing organic ingredients from as far away as China due to runaway demand.

Also - there is supposed to be a list of high priority foods to buy organic (due to heavy use of pesticides etc. on the non-organic versions). Anybody aware of what those foods are?

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I buy organic, free-range eggs because they taste noticeably better than factory-farm eggs. I buy local produce whenever possible (the farmers where I live have a great system to let you know which produce is local).

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Jan 24 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]380347[/snapback]</div>
    We have a farmer's market 2x week, plus we are members of a grocery Co-op that labels the origin of all produce. If you buy organic from small stores, it is FAR more likely to be local than from Safeway or Wal*mart.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 24 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]380312[/snapback]</div>
    That is usually how I look at it. Sometimes I just have to buy whatever Trader Joes has on hand because we need something now and I don't have time to drive out to the markets. Thankfully we have 3 fruit and vegitable stands within about 5miles of my house and a farmers market every week.

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 24 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]380349[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. I don't think they cut the beaks off of free range birds. A nice plus. They have to be happier too. I think there's a difference between free range and cage free. Free range have access to the outdoors and cage free are stilled housed in indoor, smaller spaces.

12. bluejay

bluejay New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Jan 24 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]380347[/snapback]</div>

This is one person's opinion:

Those that are commonly heavily treated, such as strawberries and animals;
    Those where you consume the parts that are sprayed, as in leafy greens or broccoli;
    Those that you consume frequently, whereby you'll get higher accumulated exposure over time, as in apples or bananas

http://www.elsonhaas.com/articles/article_02.htmlr

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess I'm doomed to a death due to chemicals, but I just don't buy the hype.

I'll buy fresh grown/locally grown produce from time to time b/c it tastes better and is more fresh. But I won't pay extra for an "organic" label and the implication that it's somehow better for you.

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 25 2007, 07:02 AM) [snapback]380623[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you here. My wife is an entomologist who does field trails to re-register pesticides for use on crops and EPA approval. It's hard to find produce that is truly free of ever being sprayed even if it's sold that way. You have no way of knowing for sure. Many small farms spray and probably over spray, large farms are more regulated and tend to comply more. Many crops need to be sprayed for pests to make them financially viable.

15. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 25 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]380623[/snapback]</div>
    Gasp! You're a doctor! Why do you not believe organic is better? Are you skeptical that there are enough controls to ensure that the produce is grown w/out pesticides and herbicides are is your position that these chemicals aren't bad for living organisms.

16. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I buy only organic, free range milk and organic, free range eggs. Oh--and organic sugar.

On occasion, I'll buy other organic things, too. I wish our local supermarkets had more products in stock. Instead, our organic section is usually about a quarter of an aisle, and stuffed with "health" foods (wheat germ, et al.) that I won't eat.

I also would prefer to buy free range chicken, as I have a crisis of conscience every time a Perdue truck passes me with it's stacks of cages...two chickens per approx. 1' X 3' cage or thereabouts. This happens about once a week. However, there's only one grocery store in Richmond that I've found to carry free-range meats...and it ain't close! Okay, now I'm talking myself into going.

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluejay @ Jan 25 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]380620[/snapback]</div>
    Add to this list any fatty substances like nut butters, nuts or oils. I've heard that pesticides and herbicides adhere more readily to fatty substances and if one is going to absorb the increased cost for organic, these are organic foods to invest in. You're right on about strawberries. They require very heavy dosing.

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Jan 24 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]380347[/snapback]</div>
    On the front page of http://www.foodnews.org/ there's a list of 43 fruits & veggies ranked from highest pesticide load to lowest. There are also links to their testing methodology & the full data set.

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

We shop at our locally grown farmer's market every week and mostly stick to organically grown. I also shop at Trader Joes which offers lots of 'organic' prepared and frozen foods. My feeling about the subject is since I am over 50, my body is well preserved with additives, but by supporting the fledgling 'organic' industry I am opening up choices for future generations. Just like driving a Prius, it's not about me, it's about the future.

I specifically won't buy Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) food, fauna or flora, as it is untested with long term studies and was fast tracked to market. Also, companies like Monsanto have corrupted our grains then had the nerve to sue farmers who's crops were cross fertilized with Monsanto's junk, thereby placing small farmers in even more of a danger of going out of business. Like mono culture crops, genetically altered animals open the whole business up to be wiped out through rampant disease. It is my personal feeling that genetically diversified food is more resistant to disease and crop disintegration.

As stated above, I personally believe it is especially important to eat organic foods high in fat as fat stores so much harmful junk, and animals high on the food chain accumulate the harmful junk eaten by critters all the way up the chain. I perfectly well understand that I have choices not available to others who do not live in a climate in which growing is not a year-round option. I'm not a purist, and when visiting others I eat what they do, knowing that when I return home I return to my definition of 'healthier' eating.

20. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I buy organic because it makes my wife happy. I did get her to study a little and find out that some produce (bananas for example) the organic label means nothing.

I fear some of the "green label" industry is simply making it a marketing tool. FOr those of you who always buy organic, regardless of cost, try looking into it a little deeper. The money you save could be used in more effective ways.

For those who answered "I just buy local", local does not equate to organic.

Anybody know about flaxseed? It is a dollar more a bag for the same companies "organic" flax.