1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Origin of Universe, a practical model

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Feb 13, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Astronomy observed the universe is expanding and playing it in reverse, we know the universe is about 13.798 billion years, +/- 37 million years. Observations of background microwave radiation independently mapped out the big bang. But I could never figure out how the Universe avoided collapsing instantly into a black hole, a gravitational hole or warp in space so strong that not even light can escape. But here comes a way out of this puzzle:
    Source: New physics model shows universe might have existed forever | SciTech | GMA News Online

We know the Universe has modes where quantum mechanics dominates, a whole set of different rules. But quantum effects are usually observed in the molecular and atomic scale. Those tiny semiconductors work in a quantum universe where there are barriers . . . allowed and forbidden states . . . that just brought PriusChat to our eyes.

I have not read this paper, yet, but I like the application of quantum mechanics to the incredibly dense universe that existed in the Big Bang. Already Hawking radiation uses quantum effects on the macroscopic scale and predicts the evaporation of black holes. However, I caution against drawing too many conclusions from an article written for the popular press . . . read the paper.

Bob Wilson

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was some new theory, in the new over last couple of weeks. REALLY over my head, but the bottom line was they postulate there was no Big Bang, that it is increasing, then decreasing in size, but never a single point. Has some max and min size. Believe it negates the need for dark matter too.

Again, completely clueless, just like to join in. ;)

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang it Bob....now you got me reading up on Bose-Einstein condensates and wondering how much the universe is near abs zero temps.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see our knowledge base as expanding, with our answers to this and everything adjusting.

An aside, New Horizons will give humankind the first decent look at Pluto ever in mid-July and rewrite our knowledge base on that world.