1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Original 12V Battery FINALLY Replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ChaseC, Feb 3, 2018.

1. ChaseC

ChaseC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius went all diva a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn't start one night for a friend when he was driving it, but started right up for me when I arrived to pick him up. A few days later, had it at the Toyota dealer for an oil change and they had to jump start it to move it into the service bay. Amazing that Toyota did not try to sell me a new battery right then and there.

Instead the car continued to drive just fine for me the rest of that week. I did order a new Optima Yellowtop and had it installed at PepBoys at the end of that week. Both the dealer and PepBoys think the car still had the original 12V installed. Crazy that it lasted 12 years!!

Full disclosure, the car does only have 71k miles on it, but it has resided in Florida for the past six years of more, meaning lots of heat and humidity.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently saw a battery chart showing a map of the US and it showed the average life of car batteries from north to south and the ones in the south have the shortest life. It would be nice to see that same map redone with AGM batteries like the Prius comes with to see if they hold up any better in hot areas of the country. Long life is suppose to be one of their selling points from what I read.

Attached Files:

ChaseC likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might have the record!(y)

the fact that you only have 71k is a strike against 12v longevity, pretty amazing.

ChaseC and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. ChaseC

ChaseC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, thanks, but I've only owned the car since September, since hardly my doing. The original owners I think bought it in Colorado and lived in Wichita, Kansas before eventually moving to Florida. I think they've been in Florida for at least four to five years. Florida climate is more humid but generally less hot during the summer than the Midwest region of Kansas and Missouri. Lot less hills to climb down here though!

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you take pictures of the old battery?

padroo likes this.
  6. ChaseC

ChaseC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not. Never even saw it myself. But the Toyota rep thought it was likely the original battery, as did the Pep Boys manager who replaced the battery for me. He also owns a Prius so I felt in good hands there.