1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ORLANDO, FL. Can someone could help me doing some maintenance on my 3rd Gen Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tom Mayor, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just typed" pull a part" on Google maps to find location around! I didn't know it existed. People on comments say that's it's generally expensive though ... Why not! And yeah I'm definitely interested to see if your friend could help me out for a reasonable price...

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I reached out to him. I'll let you know when he responds.

3. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Man! I really appreciate! What prius do you drive? Have you ever owned a 3rd gen?

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No Worries. Never owned or even driven a Gen 3. I currently own 2 Gen 2's. both 2008's

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, I think we charge $600 for the EGR service. It is a several hour job when you include all the R&R and cleaning. The first time you do it, it's an all day or more job. And you will forget to connect various plugs and hoses.

Here's a news item I am about to put in another thread. In two weeks, I'll be retiring from my part time job at Tampa Hybrids. I'll have some free Saturdays in 2-3 weeks. I don't want to take business from Todd, but if you can't afford to pay the going rate, I can do you a favor and clean it if @ColoradoCrow's friend can't help and you want to take a drive over to New Port Richey. Just bring a gallon of Toyota SLL coolant to replace the cup or two I lose in the process. Also a PCV valve if you want that replaced, too.

ColoradoCrow, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  6. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jerry. Thank you for reaching out. I really appreciate your message and your willingness to help makes me smile! Could we talk about that through private message / email or phone at some point?

7. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jerry. I found a way to send you a private message on Prius Chat website. hopefully you will be able to receive it. I good you have a nice Sunday!

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Tom Mayor : to help Jerry out, you can do some prep, any or all of the following:

1. Remove wipers, wiper motor/linkage and cowl. (Video #13, link at bottom)

2. Remove engine air intake snorkel, filter air box, and short length of rubber tube attaching to throttle body. (Video #16, link at bottom)

3. drain 2 qts of coolant from radiator, into a clean container; this’ll allow you to dodge coolant spill when EGR cooler coolant hoses are disconnected. This coolant can be poured into reservoir when everything is reassembled.

Note: throttle body hoses do NOT need to be removed. When intake manifold is removed (it has EGR passages), the throttle body does have to obviously come off, but it's coolant hoses are long enough that throttle body can be just lifted off and tied to something, say the adjacent inverter conduit.

3. Remove nut on EGR cooler lower bracket. If ambitious, back out the stud there as well. Getting the nut off can be done anytime in advance, doesn’t require any other removal, and can be left off. Ditto for the stud; you’ll need E8 Torx socket for it.

Getting that nut off will speed things up because it’s a pain to access. Getting the stud off too and the rearmost pair of cooler studs can be left on (if you loosen the bolt on bracket supporting metal pipe, directly above the cooler.

@NutzAboutBolts video links:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Also, check out the tool list in first link in my signature, see what you've got. Relevant repair manual excerpts are in that link as well. Second link in my signature has more EGR info.

#28 Mendel Leisk, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    ColoradoCrow likes this.
  9. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can do basically everything but I don't dare to do it alone... Lol. I am scared to Crack a rubber hoose by pulling it or drop a screw or bolt. I really want to do it but I'm scared. I'm sure I could do 80% of everything alone though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Trying getting that nut off the lower EGR cooler bracket. Again, that doesn't impact anything else, can be done any time and left off.

it's around 3 o'clock, relative to the braided coolant hose at center of this pic, just beyond it on right side.

upload_2023-2-19_14-36-43.png

#30 Mendel Leisk, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  11. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it that famous "bolt of hell" ? Apparently it doesn't have to be replaced , its kind of useless... what do you think?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All of that advance preparation would save time for Jerry, but would not be very conducive to driving to where Jerry is.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Of course I missed that bit. Yeah just the nut from hell then: it can be taken off, and left off; it won’t be missed.

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tom just called and we had a nice talk. Going to work out a date sometime in early March once I have some Saturdays available.

As for the "nut from hell," it's easy to break loose once you find the secret viewpoint and way to land a deep well 12mm 3/8" drive socket on it. I did quite a few EGRs before I stumbled on it even after watching how others did it. Spinning it off the stud is still a study in pain tolerance. I find it easier to leave that stud in place and put the exhaust flange studs in the way I took them out because the nasty stud takes a long time to remove due to having to ratchet it out all the way and bust up your knuckles in the process. But there's no way I'm gonna try to put the nut back on.

Removing the cowl and wiper assembly takes me all of five minutes, so not worth pre-doing. Air intake box is also a super quick chore.

Tom said he wants to do as much himself as possible. Naturally, that will slow the process, but be good experience for him. My first time, the pros had to step in now and then because we couldn't take all day or the business wouldn't be very profitable.

As long as you're in the area, the throttle body should be cleaned. It's far easier to remove the hoses and plug for the cleaning than to try to see and reach when it's down in the bowels of the engine bay. I never lose more than about 1-2 cups of coolant. Not worth the time when you get paid by the hour to take the time to drain and re-use it.

There's a considerable difference in how you do this when you're tinkering with your car compared to getting as many cars done and done well as possible in a day. When you need to maintain throughput, you're always looking for timesavers that don't hurt quality.

#34 jerrymildred, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  15. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I low in coolant or is it normal? I drove 4 miles before to taking the 2 pictures. But when the engine is cold is still in low level.

Attached Files:

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Getting a bit low, but I’m guessing they’ve been thus for some time?

From new to maybe year 3 or 4, both the coolant levels (engine and inverter) on our 2010 had dropped from full line to just below low line. I topped them up (with Toyota Super Long Life coolant, pre-mixed) and they stayed stable after that.

you’re going to need some coolant when you visit Jerry, so maybe score it now, top both up to full line. They’ll probably stay right there, but keep an eye on it.

17. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have indeed order a, gallon! I just wanted to know the state of the coolant as of now. I think that the level goes higher when the engine is hot... I'm not sure

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  19. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! As i stated I'm not a car expert but always want to learn new things ☺

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Join the club. :unsure:

jerrymildred likes this.