1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ORLANDO, FL. Can someone could help me doing some maintenance on my 3rd Gen Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tom Mayor, Feb 17, 2023.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tom Mayor, you mentioned when we talked that you would like to replace the engine water pump while you're here. If we do that, we'll want to drain & refill the coolant. That will normally take a little more than a gallon of coolant. If you bring two gallons, we can top off your inverter coolant while we're at it.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All done and @Tom Mayor is heading back to Orlando. Hopefully, with no surprises!! :whistle: Nothing like a 90 mile one way test drive. IMO, Tom's a brave dude to drive that far and let a stranger do to his car what we did today. (y)

We didn't encounter any problems, but did drop and dig out a couple items in the bowels of the engine bay. Cleaned the EGR cooler, pipe, valve, and the intake manifold. Also cleaned the throttle body. (It was well varnished, but not really gunky.) Cleaned the MAF, replaced the engine water pump. (The old pump felt exactly like the new one.) Refilled the coolant and fired it up. No codes. Sweet! We also did some fastener replacement to clean up the splash shield under the car. We did not do a complete drain and flush, but did put back at least 1-1/2 gallons of coolant. Also lubed the hood latch so it would release properly.

The cooler and IM were surprisingly clean for it's age. Cooler just needed compressed air and pressure washing. IM ports were all only mildly sooty. Cleaned right up with pressure washer. No chemicals needed except carb cleaner for the TB and EGR valve.

He got here about 8:30 and left about 2:30 which included lunch and lots of visiting and coaching time. Given the scope of the jobs and the expected coaching time, it went faster than expected. It was fun making a new friend.

CR94, Merkey, alftoy and 3 others like this.
  3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Man that is wonderful Jerry very great of you to help him out. I worked on a friends 2010 a few years back but wish I know about the EGR Clean,TB and IM. I'm sure I could have saved his car for a few more miles. Well done!

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Saint Jerry (y)

BTW, I've been meaning to say, I think they've got your doppelganger working there:

upload_2023-3-4_12-29-51.png

(Second guy to the left)

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, by Biblical definition, all who trust in Christ are saints. :D

Since that was me holding the cake, which one do you think is my doppelgänger? I think we all look pretty different. Some are more different than others. LOL!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The goateed guy with pens in his shirt pocket.

7. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you to have connected me with him!! :)

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ahh! He is about the same size, but not as old. This might amaze you. He has the same last name but with one letter different. :LOL:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I glad it worked out. Very cool. People helping people with a wonderful thing.(y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Tom Mayor

Tom Mayor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely!!!

jerrymildred likes this.