1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OT except for the mice

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ChapmanF, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I paid a visit to the parental units over the weekend, which turned into a bit of shade-tree work. My Dad has a Hyundai Sonata, the New EF flavor which in black, like his, has an elegant romantic look that ought to involve trysts on the Riviera or something. Dad uses it to take the dogs with him on errands, so the interior's got more of a Jeff Foxworthy vibe, but it's still nice to drive around except for one thing.

Speaking of vibes, I noticed the A/C wasn't blowing very cold and I didn't understand why he had the fan set only on low. Before he could stop me, I bumped it up to high. Oops.

The whole dash started shaking like a washing machine with a lopsided load. And for the same reason, it turned out ... in this case we were spin-drying a (poorly balanced) mouse nest. He had just had the HVAC blower replaced not long ago for the same reason, and it looks like the mice got back in.

So we took off the wipers and cowl and tried to epoxy some aluminum window screen down around the fresh-air intake. No really firm proof that that was how the mice got in, but no better proof for any other point of entry that we found either. I guess time will tell....

Interestingly, you get to Hyundai's HVAC filters by popping two stops out of the sides of the glove box and flipping it down, just as you do in the Prius.

-Chap

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Shouldn't you have taken the nest out, put the mouse back in, and wired up the A/C blower to regenerate electricity. That way your dad would have gotten a hybrid out of the effort.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think you should have put a cat in there before your wired it down.