1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OT - Help! Factory Nav error screen on 2005 Avalon!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by strapped4cash, Jan 19, 2007.

1. strapped4cash

strapped4cash New Member

I know this is slightly off topic but....
    I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with the problem on my wife's 2005 Avalon. I've posted on several other forums with no success so far.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELP!

My wife turned on her car several weeks ago and this screen appeared instead of her navigation system.
    :(

[​IMG]

She has a 2005 Avalon Limited. After getting conflicting answers from our dealership and Toyota corporate, the answer I was given was this as relayed from Denso (who OEMs it to Toyota):

The only way for this to appear is through a hidden service menu and the instructions are posted on the internet. Thus, they will not fix it and I can replace the NAV ECU for $2500!
    :angry:

I couldn't believe that Toyota would be strong armed by an OEM supplier like this and not stand behind their warranty.

To me it looks like a PC that doesn't have windows loaded. i.e. I need the navigation operating system re-loaded. I suspect there is a factory program disc that is used when the car is manufactured and it can be re-loaded. The dealer tried a different map DVD and I tried the one from my Solara NAV system.

For reference, the Avalon NAV is NOT a touch screen as it uses physical control buttons located below the radio. The NAV ECU is located in the trunk on the left side. The dealer also told me that this is a 3rd generation system and can not be reset. I have tried disconnecting all the cables to the ECU and leaving them removed for several hours with no luck.

I would be eternally grateful to anyone that could help me out with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

David

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So... did you mess with the menus or not?

Nate

3. strapped4cash

strapped4cash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jan 19 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]377858[/snapback]</div>
    No, I never went into the menus on my wife's car.

My dealer told me that they contacted Denso (they make the nav) and they said it can ONLY happen through the hidden menus and since the instructions are on the internet, I am guilty until proven innocent.

IMO, if this is true then they are at fault for having an accessible control that could make their product inoperable. It's not like they didn't know the internet was out there when they put that hidden feature in and leaked the documentation on how to access it.

[begin rant]

I am just a little angry b/c beyond this issue, the car was at the dealer for a week last year for an oil leak (fixed under warranty). In December the radio started cycling through it's presets on its own (replaced under warranty), the steering column has some type of problem (described as clicking at low speeds while turning) and has been "on order" for 6 weeks and "should" be in in about a month (again replacement will be under warranty).

So why is this failure of a major component deemed "my fault" since Denso "says" so?

[end begin rant]

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I were you, I'd get a repair estimate and sue them in small claims court for that amount.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tell them to get you the new NAV unit under warranty. They don't have a choice.

Try a different dealer if things continue to be a problem.

Nate

6. strapped4cash

strapped4cash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 19 2007, 04:48 PM) [snapback]377963[/snapback]</div>
    I am considering contacting a lemon law attorney. I'm not sure whether small claims would be a successful journey. I would also have to sue Toyota as it is their warranty and I believe their pockets ar a little deeper than mine! ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(strapped4cash @ Jan 19 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]378008[/snapback]</div>
    Small Claims Court is the great equalizer. No ATTORNEYS are permitted to represent the parties (unless one of the parties is a lawyer in which case the other is permitted to use a lawyer).

Toyota and or the dealer would have to prove that you did something improper which caused the NAV to malfunction. Since you can document that the dealer had the car in their possession for a period fo time before the problem surfaced, you can easily argue that one of their employees is the likely culprit, having the requisite knowledge of the hidden menus and the opportunity to experiment with your NAV unit.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh crap. that's some bad, bad news right there.

so did this happen immediately after you guys got it back from the dealership? or how long afterward?

9. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone considered the following:

1. Perhaps the dealer's description of the problem was wrong, so Denso's response is wrong. Don't believe it.

2. The DVD just can't be read, either due to bad media, a bad drive, or someone switched DVDs. Or they just flipped the DVD upside down. After all, the error message states in plain language that it can't load the program!

The simplest solution is usually the right one.

10. strapped4cash

strapped4cash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 19 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]378040[/snapback]</div>
    I think it was at the dealer about a week before to have the radio replaced.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jan 19 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]378118[/snapback]</div>

Rick,

I believe you may be right on #1 so I plan to go to the dealer tomorrow and speak to the sales and service managers to make sure they are conveying the problem correctly. I've checked the disc and it's installed correctly too.

Unfortunately for me, their simplest solution is to say I did somethig to the nav and make me pay for the repair rather than considering that this is a "real" failure mode that their QA team missed.

Thanks for your suggestions.

David

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'll have the husband look at the screen when he's got a bit of free time.

as far as the dealer being responsible for messing with the menus, it would have had to come back to you like that, there is no time delay from going into the menus.

and they've known that owners are playing with their hidden menus and messing things up. http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=20416

12. strapped4cash

strapped4cash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 20 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]378229[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I don't think the dealer did anything but since the nav sits on the AVLAN to link to the radio, when the radio started malfunctioning, could that have been casued by some malfunction on the LAN that also messed up the nav?

Until this happened, I never realized what was hidden within my nav. Looking for a solution to my problem has really enlightened me. I was able to dig up a post on another forum where someone had posted internal photos of the Avalon nav ECU and it looks like a single board with the DVD transport mechanism attached by a cable.

Other posts mentioned removing the "battery backup" for the internal memory solved the problem but it looks like mine is soldered to the board. It would be highly risky to remove this unless I had confirmation that it WOULD solve my problem. Yes, I know that would definately void the warranty but rather than paying for a new ecu, I would get one of my engieer friends to remove it and replace it.

I would be more than happy to pull my ecu and ship it somewhere to get it reprogrammed if the cost was lower and I would get to a quicker resolution to this problem.

Any help you and your husband can provide in directing me towards a solution would be helpful.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. yeah that's the region-messed-up screen.

there's pretty much no way that tinkering with the radio could have messed that up. even if there was a way for that to happen through the LAN it would have happened right away.

unfortunately he can't independently confirm without a doubt whether removing that backup would solve the problem. he can't guarantee that it would fix it, and he also can't guarantee that it wouldn't break it. toyota claims these are non-resettable, but that might be the corporate line.

have you called scrap yards? there should be plenty of totalled avalons out there by now for you to pick through. if you do call it a loss and buy another one, send the messed up one to him and we might all learn something. he's never been into a nav ecu from an avalon before, has for other cars, so it's not 100% familiar.

14. BobR

BobR Member

15. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 20 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]378456[/snapback]</div>
    This thread has bothered me from the beginning. My first thought was that the DVD had been damaged or the reader DVD reader wasn't working properly. At least that's what wrong when a PC gives that kind of message for a corrupted hard drive.
    Presumably the bad DVD is not the case, as he tried different ones (presumably compatible). Damaged reader would still be possible.

What I can't understand is why reprogramming of software or firmware (presumably the assumption of the corporate line), that has done by a user, cannot be corrected by a technician with the knowledge. i.e., pulling and reprogramming the CMOS (or whatever equivalent is in there), or at worst pulling and replacing a circuit board and not the entire unit.

I suspect someone up the line doesn't want to be bother, especially if they think someone playing around deserves what they got.

Dave M.