1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OT: Secret Comcast Discount!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by naterprius, Nov 24, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I'm an industry insider for the Cable business. Here's the deal: If you have a Comcast Cable Modem and call in to "cancel" your service, you may be offered a special promotional price for 6 months if you tell them you are planning to go to DSL but were hoping to get a competitive offer from the Cable company.

Call your local service number. Use the menus to get to the "cancel/ downgrade service" option. If you follow this option, the people on the other end of the phone are "retainers", that is, they are paid bonuses every time they offer this promotion! It is not hard to get them to make the offer.

This offer varies by region, and there may be similar offers from other cable companies.

Here are the terms for the Comcast Denver market:
    -Stand-alone data service goes from $52.95 a month to $39.99 a month for six months. (No obligation to stay for six months).

-Customers with Cable TV service and a cable modem that they rent will go from $45.95 per month to $29.99 per month for six months. (No obligation to stay for six months).

Your results may vary. The strategy is simply to call the cancellation line and say (nicely) that you are switching to DSL unless they offer you a better price on the service, not that you heard they are offering everyone a promotion. If they detect that you are not serious about canceling, they may hold off on the offer. If they suspect that you are canceling no matter what, they may hold off on the offer. Keep in mind the group that answers the cancellation line are professionals at "retaining" so they pretty good at working with people, unlike the regular support line that simply runs through the flowchart.

Please post your success or failure, and your price details, if you try this for yourself.

As of today, I have switched from paying $52.95 per month to paying $39.99 a month for six months, a savings of $78 for a five-minute phone call. Not bad.

Nate

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you hear of anything for Time Warner, let me know!

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have heard (from reliable sources) that all major (and some minor) Cable Companies are doing this.

Danny, why don't you try it? They are not going to cancel your service just for asking for a more competitive price!

We in the cable industry have a strange goal, it's called reducing churn. It's all about keeping and adding customers. The industry is essentially a monopoly, so they must compete with similar technologies like satellite and telephony, kind of like rail competing with air travel.

If a customer leaves he goes to different technology, not a direct competitor, so the strategy is different.

In a nutshell, they won't cancel your account just for telling them you would like a discount or else you are going to DSL. They will wait until you explicitly request that it be canceled.

So ask!

Nate

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"52576)</div>
    The same is true for cellular phone service, satellite television and Internet service providers.

5. tntna

tntna New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny\";p=\"52562)</div>
    Time Warner does the same thing. I've done it myself. Of course we have competing cable companies where we live and also qualify for DSL. If they don't have competition in your area, they might not offer a discount.

6. silly

silly Junior Member

I recently cancelled my Comcast broadband internet service. I continue to have their digital cable service. I went with a new internet service (Clearwire) that is just starting in Jacksonville that uses radio frequency to cell towers. Anyway, when I cancelled, Comcast offered to sell me the internet service for 35.95/month for 6 months (regular 42.95/mo).

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Time Warner "repackaged" my service late last year, at about a $30 savings. Something you do have to ask about, I guess, otherwise they won't mind keeping what they *could* live without...

8. tag

tag Senior Member

I have Comcast cable and DSL through SBC. The latter has never cost me more than $26.95/mo for around 384kbps. Since I'm too far from the CO, that's the best they can do right now at any price.

Frankly, the Comcast internet offer I got from a rep was kind of crappy. It was $19.99/mo for the first four months but then jumped to $42.95/mo thereafter. Further, I was told I would be charged a $150 one-time fee for the home networking option. Further still, the equipment lease was $5/mo or I could go out and buy the stuff myself. Geez! I guess I'll just stick with SBC.

9. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

Depends on what you're doing I guess, but you don't need the home networking option.

10. tag

tag Senior Member

You're correct re home networking; it is not required. However, I don't have to make that decision with SBC and SBC doesn't charge extra for that option (i.e. it's still $26.95/mo).

Also, even without the home networking option, the monthly equipment lease only drops 2 bucks to $3/mo and the one-time fee from $150 to $99. :roll:

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My condolences to those of you stuck with SBC or Comcast. The wait for my new internet provider to light-up my neighborhood was about as excruciating as being on the Prius wait list!

SureWest.
    10 Mbps symmetrical Fiber-optic to the house (FTTH).
    Absolutely no down time or congestion slow downs.
    $50 per month.
    My Bay Area tech friends are so jealous - one actually moved to Sacramento stating SureWest as the straw/camel’s back thing.

http://www.dslreports.com/archive
    The SureWest averages are low because SureWest is also a DSL, dial-up and cell phone provider and those results are included.

12. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"55281)</div>
    [align=center:9194c8230d][​IMG][/align:9194c8230d]

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a note on the home networking option for cable; the whole idea is that your network is managed by the cable company, firewall and all. That is what the fee is for. In the old days they used to charge just for an extra PC, but now they rarely convince anyone to do that. How's this for an industry shift? The cable companies used to feel that Linksys routers were theft. Now linksys is owned by Cisco, and Linksys sells hundreds of thousands of cable modems and embedded cable modem routers. Quite ironic.

Anyway, just FYI.

Nate

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think you will find that most if not all cellphone, cable, and ISP services have what they refer to as "save tools" which are special unadvertised rates available to customers in order to reduce churn. (churn is jumping from one service provider to another)

on average it costs a company $1500 to sign up a new customer. if they can keep an existing customer by offering them a discounted service, many companies will do so. they will never advertise the lower rates and your mileage may vary as sometimes its in customer services power to offer you the lower rate.

a better tactic might be to say you are facing financial hardship and can no longer afford the service. usually you can get slightly reduced services for a much lower price.

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Dave, try whatever you like. I heard about the discount for Cable Modem service from an industry insider, and wanted to pass the word along. I also have tried it myself. Please report your success or failure here.

Nate

16. Paul113

Paul113 New Member

I dont know if I qualify as an industry insider but I'm one of the guys in the van with the ladders on the roof. My post retirement gig is as a contractor for one of the major cable providers installing/maintaining HSD, VOIP, and cable TV. All I've read here is true. And fiber to the house will be the industry standard in short time. Those connection speeds will make your jaw drop but they are accurtate and will only get better.
    As far as "saving" goes it's also true. Even as an installer if I go to a non-pay disco and can get the customer to pay me the arrearages and leave them connected I get a $25 reward, still get paid for the change of service plus I dont have to get the ladder off the roof and schlep up the pole to do the disco. Win, win in my book. Especially if there's a snarling Rotty in the back yard and 50 piles of poo. The bad news is it doesn't happen a lot, the save that is.
    Peace,
    Paul

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If only this site could take advantage of such speeds.

I consistently find PriusChat to be quite slow, compared to other websites, on both my T1 connection (upwards of 4 Mbps) at the office and 1.5 Mbps DSL (regularly tests at 1.1 - 1.2 Mbps) at home.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    not really an industry shift. it was smart consumers who started the SOHO movement. there was no industry that favored this at all except possibly Linksys. (although i doubt this was the case since initially their boxes were difficult to set up since home OS's werent set up to do the job and support was shaky at best) the cable company realized about 2-3 years AFTER the fact that SOHO was here to stay and then simply let that extra computer charge slip under the rug and started advertising multiple home systems like they were giving the consumer something. (what a joke!!)