1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Other home link users

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Festus, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Festus

Festus New Member

Any of you with the HomeLink buttons in your Prius using them for non-garage-door purposes? Like house lights? walkway lights? etc.

I'm interested in hearing what else people have rigged up. thanks!

2. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I have an X10 system although the link to the HomeLink is an indirect one.

I installed a magnetic sensor on the garage door so that when it opens or closes, it sends a signal into the system. Then the system, depending upon wheather it's dark outside or not, turns on the house and walkway lights, and sets the themostat to a preset temp.

Since my garage is quite a way from the house, having a lighted walkway is nice.

The system also monitors the state of the garage door so if I forget to close it before bedtime, it closes it automatically.

I know you asked about "non-garage door" applications, but this is as close as I get. I got all the components through Smarthome.com

3. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Sep 18 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]321072[/snapback]</div>
    You have made good use of current technology. Well done.
    I also have fitted a magnetic sensor to the garage door but only use it to monitor whether or not the door is open or closed. I do have a light sensor in the garage that turns the light on if it is dark and someone is in the garage. My garage opens directly into the house so other lights are not necessary because there is always someone at home.
    Unfortunately the Aussie Prius does not have that magic mirror with buttons to press so I have to make do with a garage door remote control. I located the remote as far forward as it would go on the door trim next to the window glass. Marvellous what velcro can achieve.