1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Other Worldly Perspectives

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Jan 20, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I feel like we in the US are being seriously misled by our media. When ever I talk to friends in Europe they have a completely different take on the events of the day than we in the US are given to believe. I go online occasionally and read English language newspapers from around the world and what I read seems to underscore my assumption. I propose that this thread be posted to by readers other than in the US, giving your take on world events of the day. If this thread becomes popular I would further propose that posters differentiate between events as reported to them (Here in Norway our media says...") versus their opinions (I think...) though I would encourage both. The differentiation would enable readers to come to their own conclusions.

2 ways to get to world wide english language newspapers are:

http://www.austrianews.com/

http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/news/

I believe the more informed we are the better for all

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

oops duplicated

3. bluejay

bluejay New Member

democracy now.org or democracy now on selected cable stations

4. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A great web based source would be Here they have translations (machine) of most newspapers with a web presence.

And yes, our corporate media is feeding us a highly sanitized version of world events. IMHO

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nice example. . . But MarinJohn is asking for posts about international (non-USA) news reports from non-USA PriusChatters, to show us Americans how “we in the US are being seriously misled by our media.â€

Your example is the epitome of “being seriously misled by our media.†How could you possibly have faith in an organization which is so extremely bent to one side? . . . unless you are from that persuasion and feel at home.

Democracynow is to the EXTREME far left as . . .
    The Daily Show with John Stewart is to those with a sense of humor, or . . .
    Fox News is to those on the right.
    They all have their place, but I wouldn’t rely on any one of them to get the total, fair, balanced and accurate news.

Nor would I give more consideration to foreign (non-USA) news reports as somehow being more fair, more balanced or more accurate - just because they do not originate in the USA. The only thing foreign news gives you is a different perspective on a particular news item. Foreign news is far from being homogeneous.

There are actually people who rely on The Daily Show as their main source of news. :lol:
    Then there are those who only get their news from Democracy Now. :unsure:
    And of course there are those who only watch Fox News. <_<

So who finds it impossible to be well informed here in the USA????
    THE BIASED PEOPLE!

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

My daughter just signed me up to receive "The Economist" as a birthday present. I had no clue it was a British publication. It seems quite objective and well written. "The Americas" is just one section of it.

I like the little statement in the front that says it was created in 1843 to "take part in a severe contest between intelligence, which presses forward, and an unworthy, timid ignorance obstructing our progress". Kinda says it all.

I was thinking of starting an Economist thread to discuss issues raised there.

7. bluejay

bluejay New Member

You have your opinion, I have mine. That's the great thing about democracy.