1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

otpions? factory nav?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eterry2, May 7, 2007.

1. eterry2

eterry2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have decided to buy a Prius and am looking at options. What do you think of the factory installed navigation system?

Any comments on what options I should or should not consider?

thanks for your help.

Terry
    Houston

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I recommend forgoing the nav and purchasing a 3rd party nav system. The Toyota system is expensive to install, update, and only pretty accurate. With a third party system you can bring it with you when you ride in another car.

3. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing is ... you get more money off in incentives on Pkg #5 (nav) and Pkg #6 (add leather).

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Well... which package is a matter of preference. I have had two Prius, both with factory NAV systems. The biggest plus is the fact that the NAV system is completely integrated, uses the MFD (Multi-Function-Display), can't be stolen (but also can't be utilized in another car). The factory NAV also enables voice guidance and voice input for certain commands. It's difficult to extract the exact cost of the factory NAV since it's part of a 'package' and not priced individually. I find the NAV system accurate to about 50-60' as to exactly where I am at a given time. Another feature of the factory NAV it it's integration with "dead reckoning" so that when you temporarily lose satellite contact (like in a tunnel or parking garage) your position is maintained by speed and direction.

Here's a link to an online DVD of the Lexus NAV system - same system and the Prius the only difference being the dash buttons locations. This will give you a great deal of info. on the NAV system, how it works, etc. This DVD runs better if you have a fast internet connection.

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/demos/LS/.../Lexus_nav.html

Good Luck on your new Prius. Do keep in touch with PriusChat, it's a superb source for practical, helpful information. The Owner's Manual (though not easy reading) contains lots of good info. I used a highlighter to identify points which seemed important, and made my own supplemental "Index" on a blank page in the back.

5. eterry2

eterry2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that the nav on one screen would be best. I guess I'll see how much they are willing to deal.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When I wanted to get a Prius in 2005, I wanted to get one without a NAV system and get a third-party. Unfortunately in my neck of the woods only certain packages were available. Because of that I got one with the NAV. This is the first GPS system I've used and am happy with it (maybe it's because I have nothing to compare it with).

7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I look at it like this:

The stuff you get in the high-end packages (nav and bluetooth, mainly) can be had as aftermarket parts for less money. Figure $800 for a high-end navigation unit with bluetooth capability that will function just as well as the built-in unit.

*but*

The clean factory installation may be worth the money if you don't like wires. I've wired my GPS neatly behind the dash, but I do wish I had a better solution for the XM radio. A $50 Delphi Roady XT was the most economical way to do it but I now have one wire each hanging down for the antenna, DC power, and the audio cable. Avoiding that is what you're really paying for.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What options to get is a very personal matter. I recommend getting the safety features: VSC and the full complement of air bags all the way around.

Personally I hate leather. I wear shorts in summer and leather sticks to my skin. And the Prius cloth is very nice. I also prefer a seperate aftermarket GPS, in part because it frees up the MFD to show the energy and consumption screens, or, in my case, the CAN-View screens; and at the same time the aftermarket GPS puts the map right in front of me, where I can see it without taking my eye off the road. The MFD is off to the side and down, where I cannot easily use it to judge which road I need to turn onto. This last is important at complex intersections.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eterry2 @ May 7 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]436854[/snapback]</div>
    I vote aftermarket. The other posters have all given good advice. Only you can determine which is better for you.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like the factory NAV system. Garmin has a better user interface, you just can't beat them, but it's worth it to me to have the whole system integrated into the MFD. I have the factory system now, and my next Prius will have one too.

Tom