1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ouch, telephone pole versus my Prius = ? please help body shop pros

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by taoofbean, Aug 17, 2006.

1. taoofbean

taoofbean New Member

I blew it. I backed up while looking in the back mirror down my alley and didn't even see the telephone pole on the right of my car that tapped my right quarter panel. AFter scrubbing the telephone residue off with a degreaser, this is what remains, a few scuff marks in the clearcoat and a 1/2-1/4" depression. The depression is about 3.5 inches in circumference.

Boy those panels are thin. :eek:

I am wondering what my options are for fixing this and what some price figures I should expect before I ever get to the body shop. I have had every strange experience with body shops in the past from those claiming I need to repaint half the vehicle just to blend the paint from a 2 inch scrape to those that just kick out a dent and call it good. Before calling anyone in Portland, I wanted to get better informed as to what my options are in this regard. I would like to get the dent gone and not pay $500 to have it disappear. Thanks for your insight folks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your damage looks like a good candidate for a paintless repair since it appears in the photos that you've done a good job of rubbing out the finish. There are individuals and companies around that specialize in removing door dings by getting behind the dent and working them back out with special tools. You might ask the dealer or check with your insurance company to see if they recommend someone. The dent you have appears to have no creases or major metal stress. Give it a try!

I've seen worse than that made to look *almost* like it never happened for under $200.

3. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a recent experence with "paintless dent repair".
    I'm a freak for my car looking good and I can't tell. It was in the same area as yours. It was no where near as bad (sorry) as yours, but it was cheap $85. It is worth a shot. Most places won't fix it if they can't and it doesn't cost anything for them to evaluate it.

Oh and I went to the body shop and they wanted $120 for the job. THey just call the guy and he comes out. I went to the source and saved a few $$.

4. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might try a company called Dent Wizard, they do a great job. Good luck.

5. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

if you want the best results, I would suggest taking it to your Authorized Toyota Dealer for repair.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I have done this before, more than once, I am dyslexic and the backing up thing is well, not really good. I would recommend that you get a back up camera installed. Even my wife is slowly (very slowly) becoming a believer. It is a necessary option for the back up challenged!

7. tacomel

tacomel New Member

When I had paintless dent repair done (on my former car, a Civic), they gave me a "percentage" up front. The door dings were 100%, meaning that nobody could ever tell. The caved-in corner of the bumper was rated at 90%. When all was said and done, the bumper looked fine for the untrained eye, but staring at just the right angle, you could see a couple little waves. Point - if you go to Dent Doctor or equivalent, they should be able to tell you up front if it's 100% or something less, and you can set your expectations accordingly.

8. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(taoofbean @ Aug 17 2006, 07:04 PM) [snapback]304958[/snapback]</div>
    These poles that jump out at you when you least expect it are a nuisance. Get a chain and tie it down.

Some dents can be removed fairly cheaply by using suction.

Good luck.

9. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Aug 17 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]305050[/snapback]</div>
    For mechanical repairs or serious body damage, but something simple like that a dent place will be fine. That is their bread and butter. Dinged metal is dinged metal is dinged metal. I trusted my car to a dent place and they did it FAST and cheap. I couldn't tell where it was. And when they say 90%...it is not like the dent will be 90% fixed...even then it still looks great.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 17 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]305079[/snapback]</div>
    I doubt the camera would have helped, that dent is nowhere near the viewable angle on the camera - This is a side mirror issue and I'm guessing just a 'forgot to check it soon enough' error.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 17 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]305079[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Aug 18 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]305474[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with bruceha. Besides, according to the information, the car is a 2006 #8, so it should already have a camera.

Too bad it happened. :( I hope the "paintless dent repair" works.

12. taoofbean

taoofbean New Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies and good advice. I wasn't even aware of paintless dent repair before this thread. At lunch during work today I will call some shops and inquire.

I haven't yet told my partner about the ding as a sort of candid experiment to see how obvious it is to someone just looking at the car. It has been a week so far and even without any repair she hasn't noticed. Hopefully this magic of paintless repair you recommend will be the key so I can mention it to her after it is fixed entirely and only get 10% of the total wrath deserved.

Is there anything I can do about the scuffs in the clearcoat? I don't know how auto painting works outside of my limited experience where they insisted on painting 1/3 of a vehicle for a 2 inch ding.

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If the scuffs are truly just in the clear coat, then they can be buffed down to reduce the visibility. If there is damage to the paint itself, I suggest a professional touch up job by an airbrush guy (ask the used car manager at the dealer, I guarantee he has a guy he uses).

The Toyota dealer by me has a pair of guys that come by, one guy does paintless dent removal and then passes the car to the airbrush guy. I've used both of them for various repairs on my cars. Sure beats the body shop.

Nate

14. taoofbean

taoofbean New Member

Good insight Nate, thanks.