1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our Model X Test drive: ZEEEZ !!!!

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, Feb 18, 2016.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Last Friday, "She-who-must-be-obeyed" (SWMBO) and I, got the opportunity to schedule a VERY early test drive of Tesla's latest offering. It was a really nice set up ... yummy turkey rolls, adult beverages, snacks, music etc. Even snazzy little badges, similar to when Toyota invited a handful of us early adapters back to Detroit to be a part of the Gen III reveal (2009). Our rep was VERY informative . . . he almost knew as much about the ride as me! ;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But ... this is SWMBO's day. So - SWMBO got behind the wheel of Tesla's cross-over (then me ... just for 'fun') to decide if this will be her (now 10yr old) Lexus SUV hybrid replacement. It has been VERY reliable ... but for business purposes - it's not looking like the most successful business vehicle on the road .... and Toyota seems to refuse to expand it's PHEV line into their cross overs - so this may be the next step. On to the event ... our experience;

[​IMG]

MAN !! This sucker has a TON of windshield glass . . . . like having a sunroof & windshield all-in-one. I loved it . . . . SWIMBO not so much . . . she says she'd want to tint the upper top darker (sigh);

[​IMG]

She's seen all the various EV's over the decades and just refused to pull the trigger;

[​IMG]

Anyway - Tesla of Buena Park CA was a great facility - and had a couple configurations for us to check out ... 6 & 7 seat iterations;

[​IMG]

SWMBO wants to configure the LEAST common color - a metalic bronze/gold (sigh) with air suspension, winter package (heated/cooled seats, heated stearing wheel, heated wipers, etc), standard 40amp onboard charger, standard 20" tire/wheels bio hazard air filtration, tan leather, tan headliner, carbon fiber trim, but 'only' the 70kWh pack;

[​IMG]

. . . . . oh yea . . . . and that autopilot/autonomous driving function ... let go of the wheel on the freeway, and just hit the left turn knob to change lanes. Very freaky. Once we hit the configure button, we have 7 days to change our mind ... then the $5K is lost - if we back out. Still ... their "satisfaction guarantee" is extremely forgiving - if after pickup (up to 3 months) SWMBO decides she doesn't like it. I'm still trying to convince SWMBO to go w/ the 90kWh pack ... but she says she'll wait for a used one & forgo her favorite color if necessary, to save the cost hit, if we go for the 90kWh over the 70kWh. So . . . . we'll see ~

Driving impressions? hehehehehehelheheheheheeeee !!
    nothing else more adequately describes the handling and the LUDICROUS acceleration (which we won't opt for that much acceleration btw)
    what more can one say. SWIMBO screamed (it's like a jet take off!!!) when I hit the throttle during my acceleration onto the 5 fwy on ramp south bound. It was like being back in my 1989 Porsche ... only this is a cross over! And quiet . . . with that air suspension? Again heheheheheheee !!
    Feel free to post questions, if any.

EDIT:
    It'll be a while before most get to test drive, much less see the X from inside - so I found a cool 360° video in case anyone wants to get a view from inside. Just hold down your mouse - and spin it around ... Enjoy ;

#1 hill, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's good you live in California - I'm told the ownership experience is much better there. Our Tesla has been less than reliable (and the service experience extremely disappointing) and honestly it's really hard to be excited for yet another huge crossover/SUV.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Of course every experience is different - and I've never heard that one state's ownership experience overall is better than other states. That said - it's hard to argue with consumer reports findings that despite the warts - no other car has a higher rating when it comes to whether the buyer would buy the same car again.
    Consumer Reports: Tesla Model S Rated #1 In Customer Satisfaction