1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our new Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by retirednavy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. retirednavy

retirednavy New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We picked up our 2009 Silver Pine Mica on 8/28/08 in Nampa, Idaho. The following week we drove 208 miles roundtrip to McCall Idaho and averaged 47.5 up the mountain and 52.5 down. So far at 600 miles our lifetime average is 52 mpg. Can't wait until it gets broke in and the mpg increases. Where we live is fairly flat and we get about 10 days of "bad" roads per year between December and February. The local tire dealer offered a trade-in of $140 for factory tires, but decided to get them siped and see how they do. I'm retired now and if the weather is bad I can just stay home and watch Oprah...Okay I lied about Oprah. I found the instruction book to be a bit wordy and redundant. Had to call dealer a couple of times to get a straight answer. Last week I lost my wife's Smart key. The car wouldn't lock with my key and would start with no key. The dealer said the key had to be in the car, but we really looked and couldn't find it. Dealer said bring it in and she'd find it. And lo and behold there it was way under the driver's seat on the track!!! I promptly bought a pair of Key Ringer remote key finders. $39.14 versus $300 was a no debate + peace of mind. One thing I recommend is buying an owner's manual while you wait. By the time our car came in I was fairly versed on the ins and outs, but there is no substitute for real hands on operation. So far 5 stars out of five stars for me.

2. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Aloha and welcome from another retired sea service member. You'll find a lot of useful information here. I've had my SBM for almost a year now and am still impressed with it.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that the manual can be a bit irritating at times. There are some parts where it's clear that they haven't gotten the translation quite right and other parts where it's just not clear what they're saying (in any language, I imagine). However, the thing that I find most annoying is that the index is quite poor.

If you have questions, you should feel free to ask here. I can't promise that you won't get people acting snotty and saying you should read the manual, but most people are quite friendly and are willing to offer advice/suggestions to new members.

Welcome!

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, y'old swabbie! :) I'm not retired, but I was in the SeaBees. For another take on a User's Manual, written by a real-life User, check out John1701a's web site. Much easier to read and understand.