1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our New Senate Majority Leader

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, Nov 14, 2006.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I applaud the Dems for wanting to tackle corruption, but am surprised they have now just selected Dirty Harry (Reid) as Senate Majority Leader.

Here is his corruption bio...

What will Pelosi do?

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 14 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]348887[/snapback]</div>
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=346811

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know how she'll react. She was hoping for Murtha (sp?).

I do feel that, in a leadership position, all eyes will be on him and Nancy is not going to tolerate anything that obstructs her stated position on ethics. If he can't take the heat, he may be asked to leave the kitchen.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Number one on Pelosi's list of things to accomplish in her first 100 hours:

"Day One: Put new rules in place to 'break the link between lobbyists and legislation.'"

6. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 14 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]349025[/snapback]</div>
    Great for her, if she can pull it off. I say, let the chips fall where they may (on either side of the aisle). There is far too of a cozy relationship between politicians and the lobbyists. I do think there is a valid place for those impacted by legislation to be able to comment on it though - but somehow the money link has to be broken.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 14 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]348963[/snapback]</div>
    Funny but sad.

7. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 14 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]348887[/snapback]</div>
    What would you have her do? You do know that she has no standing in the Senate?

OTOH, As these things go, this is pretty weak. Says that sure enough Harry has been legislating to the benefit of some of his constituents, and that he has relatives who are lobbyists. None of which is illegal or in violation of Senate Rules.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 14 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]348963[/snapback]</div>
    Well, at least The Who are still relevant.

I say give candidates an allowance based on the positions that they're running for, paid for by the tax payers. Individual gifts should be illegal. Lobbyists can still lobby but their handlers cannot make donations. How 'bout that?

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Nov 14 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]349104[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that ,thats the only way to really clean up government.
    BTW,John Kerry was one of the few to ever introduce legislation.It went far beyond the Mcain bill.

"The following year, a re-elected Kerry was in another lonely position as one of only five original sponsors of the Clean Money, Clean Elections Act, to provide for full public financing of Congressional elections. The measure would remove practically all special-interest money from House and Senate campaigns. (Kerry's colleagues were Wellstone, Leahy, John Glenn and Joe Biden--all Democrats.) "Kerry was totally into it," says Ellen Miller, former executive director of Public Campaign, a reform group pressing for the legislation. "He believes in this stuff."
    In introducing the legislation, Kerry said on the Senate floor, "Special interest money is moving and dictating and governing the agenda of American politics.... If we want to regain the respect and confidence of the American people, and if we want to reconnect to them and reconnect them to our democracy, we have to get the special interest money out of politics." He was also a backer of the better-known McCain-Feingold legislation, a more modest and (some might say) problematic approach to campaign reform. But over the years he's pointed to the Clean Money, Clean Elections Act as the real reform. "It is a tough position in Congress to be for dramatic change in financing elections," says Miller. "It's gutsy to go out and say, 'Let's provide a financially leveled playing field so there is more competition for incumbents.' Kerry and Wellstone were the leaders and took a giant step. It was remarkable." "

10. hjon71

hjon71 Junior Member

I just hope the Dems will focus on straightening out the mess.
    A bunch of finger pointing and head hunting are going to slow
    down the progress that needs to occur. I understand some accountability
    needs to be sought, just dont make THAT the focus.

11. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Nov 14 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]349096[/snapback]</div>
    Possibly true she won't be able to do anything. However, she could join with the Senate to set up an independent investigative panel (external to the congress) that could investigate possible House and Senate ethics violations.

As for Reid, I wouldn't say it's "weak". He has also taken $66,000 from Abramoff -- among a range of other questionable activities. Just Google him.

But the point is, an independent panel could determine the propriety of any of his activities and those of others in the congress.

12. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 14 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]349148[/snapback]</div>

Very nice. But haven't you figured it out, yet? Each party or legislative body alternates introducing reform legislation with a poison pill the other party/body must reject on "principle". That way everybody gets to take a bow and blame the other. One thing every proposal does is seriously hamper the ability of 3rd parties and independents to challenge the oligarchy. Would Lieberman have been able to run as an independent after losing the primary?

13. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 14 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]349342[/snapback]</div>
    You mean the Senate that will be run by Harry Reid? How would it go? Pelosi would get together with Reid and say, "Harry, you know I love you dearly, but I think we ought to have a commission to investigate you." Harry says, "Why, gee, Nan, I think that's a terrifc idea. Let's get right on it." Not to mention that an open ended congressionally mandated witch hunt probably isn't the first order of business for the new session.
    I said it's "weak" for the reason I stated. There is nothing in what you posted that on its face is either illegal or unethical.
    I won't rehash the difference between "took money from Abramoff" and "took money from an Abramoff client", but there are a range of other allegations out there -- which causes me to ask myself why you didn't go with them. Credibility? At least one of them did involve violation of actual Senate disclosure rules. (Unintentional, according to Reid, but a violation just the same.)
    Actually history says that the results of independant panels are generally ignored if those who commissioned the panel don't like them.

14. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "an open ended congressionally mandated witch hunt probably isn't the first order of business for the new session."

According to Pelosi it is...

"In the first 100 hours of a Democratic Congress, we will restore civility, integrity, and fiscal responsibility to the House of Representatives. We will start by cleaning up Congress, breaking the link between lobbyists and legislation and commit to pay-as-you-go, no new deficit spending."

Now you may have a point that she won't get Dirty Harry's co-operation in the Senate. And if such a panel doesn't have any legal authority to bring charges against anyone, then my question is, what's the point? I mean, just how do you "clean up the congress" without an enforcement/penalty mechanism? Or is it all just Pelosi demagoguery? I sincerely hope not, but I expect it may be.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I suspect there'll be some clean-slating going on. Start off by passing new rules, and from then on, whoever breaks the rules faces the consequences. My take is that's how Nancy wants to do it, since there's plenty of dirt under the bridge from all sides to begin with, but then again, she doesn't always get what she wants, does she?