1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Our vacation paid for by gas savings!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ray Moore, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My wife and I both drive Prius. We each put 24,000 miles on our cars this past year. The average price of gas for the period was $2.50 per gallon. She averaged 52 MPG. I averaged 56 MPG. She got rid of a Ford Explorer. I drove and F-150. We each got 15 MPG in our old vehicles. Her savings was $2,847.00. My savings was $2,928.00. We recently went to mexico where we bought a 3,000$ rug and some other items as well as a week in Oaxaca at a fine hotel and airfare. Our total cost was just less than our savings in gasoline.

My wife sent an e-mail to her republican gas hog family members and to her best friend to report her gas savings. Her friend's son bought her explorer. She wrote back to say that the credit card that they put their gas on is maxed out at 2500$. They pay it off each month. They drive Suburbans and the Explorer and put tons of miles on them but they can't get a car because the Dad feels that they are too unsafe. That is the number one reason I hear from suburban and hummer owners about why they drive them.

We didn't actually go on vacation with our savings. We paid our car payments with them instead. I love this car. I bought it when gas was $1.47 a gallon. Now it's $2.85.

2. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ Apr 18 2006, 09:13 PM) [snapback]241836[/snapback]</div>
    That's great! Send that to the people who talk about the hybrid premium right? I don't get the SUVs are safer argument. According to the NHTSA ratings, the Prius is better for passenger ratings, and of course rollovers, and has the same rating for the driver. I understand the whole momentum argument, but driving a Prius helps you become a safer driver, also. The roads in general would be safer without so many SUVs - I guess those people are going for the best defense is a good offense - which seems selfish and inconsiderate. Hmmm.... You're way better off in a Prius on so many levels unless somebody in a Suburban plows into you.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmhmm. This weeks Fifth Gear (UK motoring programme) crashed a Renault Espace (minivan) offset head-on to a Land Rover Discovery at 40mph each (so 80mph closing speed). Guess which dummy would walk way with only cuts and bruises?

Yep, the Espace. Guess who needs a new kneecap? The dummy in the Discovery (no pun intended)