1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Out of date maps in Nav

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Flyman, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Flyman

Flyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :( On our latest shopping trip we discovered the maps in our new v are not up to date it doesn't have an area that has existed for over 2 years that I know of. I will ask the dealer when we go for service, but it seems to me a 2012 vehicle should have 2012 maps. I'm wondering if they are going to want $200 to enter what should have already been there. We may just use our Garmin if they do.
    Anyone else find their maps are not current?

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My maps appear to be from Q4 2010 and I am current on the software. W

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Flyman - The GPS-NAV Map (Database) in my vee, which I purchased/took possession of on12/27/2011, are significantly out of date based on observable errors against the actual road layouts and terrain here on the Space Coast of Florida. I also had similar, observable-against-actual roads-terrain "error" problems and NAV Lady "glitches" driving around Charleston, SC. Many roads and streets that have been completed for 2 or 3 years do not yet appear on the NAV.

I was suspicious of this NAV MAP geo-location/positional flaw about a two-months ago, and took my new, 2012 Prius v into the dealer to have the Entune NAV checked to assure it had the most current Toyota Entune NAV GPS Database and Software Rev-Level installed. The dealer checked it and claimed/claims that my Prius v Wagon has the most current GPS MAP database that was available from Toyota on my purchase date of 12/27/2012. If, in fact, the NAV MAP installed in my vee is the most current one available, it certainly is far from being accurate at the 99.9% level of accuracy

I do not know whether this is actual Toyota truth, or Toyota technical “NAV MAP Currency†hand-waving in collusion with dealer service department weasel words to save Toyota Corporate/Toyota North America a few bucks by not having to update my new, three-month old 2012 Prius v Wagon now, and then, when the new Entune NAV GPS MAP database release is published, make a couple hundred bucks on me. :plane:

4. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Are updates of maps something that is covered under the 3 year warranty or 24,000 mile free maintenance? I have 4th. quarter 2010 maps in my v. I actually find that they have a few locations that my son's 2011 Acura does not have. I do find that some of the routes are less than optimum.

5. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On 3 occations my nav said the addresses didn't exist, these 3 addresses have been in Los Angeles longer than the Prius has been on the market.

6. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    if i may put in my 2 cents, when i bought my 2009 venza w/nav. it did not recognize my subdivision (my address) which by the way has been, at the time for six years. (or should i say, wasn't on the navs map. also when i was traveling on a hwy, that has been there for 10 years, showed on the map that i was traveling thru a wilderness, no roads. when i put in my local pizza joint, i was surprised it was unlisted. because it has been there for 18 years. but i thought i wasn't going to buy a new download, because it should have had the latest in that new car. i still don't understand how it updated itself, but a short time later, all those areas or routes were added on to the map. i originally thought it must be updated with another down load. all i can say is that all the destinations and maps are complete now , where before they weren't.

7. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Im also still trying to figure out how are the maps updated on the V level three. Some people claimits a dvd based nav, and others claim is a flash based nav. However, nobody seems to know how exactly are the maps updated on the V. Somebody with official backing PLEASE shine some light on this for once and for all

8. Crunch

Crunch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mine are also way off, with roads that have been around for years not showing. Would love if they would just let my droid phone and Google maps show on the PriusV screen.

Marla.D likes this.
  9. mlkco

mlkco Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am on my 3rd Prius, my first was an 05 and now have a 07 Prius and a v.
    The Nav in the 05 was worthless. The 07 was significantly better. The V is phenomenally better than the 07.

IMHO none of them are as good as a cheap Tom Tom Or Garmin that can be updated on line for free. The only reason I get Nav is to get the other bells and whistles in the package.

1 person likes this.
  10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 06's nav (I'm still on the original DVD that was produced sometime in 05), is fine. Sure there are some roads that have changed after the DVD was published and Canadian map data is pretty bad, but overall it's fine.

As for Garmin being updated online for free: yeah, right. Unless you buy a lifetime maps subscription or the unit came with one, you get only get this:
    (from http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={9eced5e0-7f41-11dd-e87e-000000000000})
    After that, you must either buy a one time update or a lifetime update.

11. Flyman

Flyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :D A lifetime mapupdate for Garmin is $99 and a one time update at a dealer is $200-250. A little bit of Piracy there I'd say.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree the latter is pricey and sucks. One can actually get a Garmin NA Lifetime update for even less. Per http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCMaps-Lifetime-America-Updates/dp/B001PKTFM8, it's right now $63.95.

I've called Toyota customer care to log a complaint and gave an example of the price of a Garmin lifetime update and an example of the price of a new Garmin PND, for comparison like http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCvi-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B001U0O7QW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333350452&sr=1-1 (currently $85.99).

I suggest for people who are unhappy w/the update pricing (like I am) to call Toyota and get them to log a complaint. Get it on their radar.

I can understand the need for markups, physical media, etc. and the added convenience of a factory nav system always being there. PNDs are likely to be broken, lost, stolen, stop working, batteries don't hold a charge, replaced w/a new one, etc. in a few years whereas factory ones will theoretically stay in place and working for longer. Thus, I'd be ok w/something like $100-$150 for say 4 additional updates, whenever you want them. $200 for one sucks.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Welcome v owners ... you are NOT special :p . . . map update / newness is ongoing since the beginning. Be glad you didn't buy prior to 2008 ... prior to when new strip malls and mc mansions and track homes were going up left and right. You were REALLY assured of being behind the times back then. That said, it takes a whole lot more effort to publish DVD's than it does for google to update its map data base. Typically a DVD (especially the navteq) will be manufactured at LEAST 1 year minimum - prior to the date a car is manufactured. But there's always ebay to come to the rescue, after you wait a few months.

14. Flyman

Flyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have been told that the Nav in the v at least the 5 model is not DVD based and that the only way to update it is through a Dealer. I can't confirm this but there isn't a hard drive under the seat that I can find. I live about 85 miles from our Dealer or any Toyota Dealer and only have 2900 miles on ours. When it turns 5000 I'll be going to the Dealer for service and will find out exactly what the options are. I suspicion I will just use my Garmin Nuvi.

15. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good to know.

So is it $200 per NAV update, or $200 for lifetime updates?

The Toyota website says to consult your NAV manual, but that's hard to do when you're still doing research while shopping for the car.

Regarding the other package bells and whistles, unless one is living out of the car I'm not sure that they are worth it. The backup camera could surely come in handy once in a while, but the complimentary Entune subscription for traffic, weather, gas station data, etc. expires after 3 years. Then it's a monthly charge that can get pretty pricey:

Apps $5/month
    NavTrafficâ„¢ = $3.99/month
    NavWeatherâ„¢ = $9.95/month
    Travel Linkâ„¢ (Fuel and Sports & Stocks) = $1.99/month

I don't understand what the difference is between the SiriusXM and XM Select package are, but I understand that the trial period for the XM package included with the car ends after only 3 months. THOSE monthly fees are pretty steep, too, unless you like just spending money. :angry:

16. 360texas

360texas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have a Prius v5 with Nav. I visited the Priusownersonline.com [previous registered] and downloaded the Nav .pdf for our car. Only to find that the instructions are for a previous version of software.

[​IMG]
    The .pdf screen shots do not even look like what I actually see in the car screens. Functions are different for adding a new route and waypoints.

Finally figured out by trial and error how to add a new route starting and destination point... then added several waypoints to get the recorded route to match my actual planned route (paper map).. then didn't find a place to SAVE this route list... and IT promptly forgot to put this new route in memory. [total time sitting in hot car - 1 hour]. Will try again tomorrow.

1) Any one know where I can find written detail instruction on how to plan a route with [my personal] way points ?
    2) Any one know if I can just key in an destination address with out the system doing pre sort selection ... Country, State, city, street, zip ?

In another thread on this V forum someone mentioned that the 2012 gps update willl be released this summer rather than March 2012. I hope they UPDATE the GPS firmware program AND provide NEW MAPS. The gps program should be as easy to use as our Garmin 3790 Life time maps and traffic features.

At least Garmin's software is 'current Traffic, speed limit and Intersection Safety Camera aware' all in the price of the gps device.

17. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Out-of-date GPS maps can occur with any GPS system and I'm not sure that the Prius v GPS is any worse than some of the others. The real issue is the cost and difficulty of updating the Prius GPS. For most people, it probably makes more sense to simply buy a Garmin GPS with free lifetime map updates and traffic data for a couple of hundred dollars and stop using the Prius GPS.

18. 360texas

360texas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agree, we will probably not use the Prius GPS because the maps are over 2 years old now. The installed GPS software [read firmware] do not match the Toyota GPS download .pdf user manuals [previous years edition]. The 4 page user GPS manual provided with new car lacks sufficient detail concerning entering route waypoints and restacking the route.

Yes we will instead use our Garmin with 1 wire for power and traffic receiver. We download the updated map life time map to 2013.10 3d and traffic trends.

19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota charges $200 per update. Running a Garmin along with Toyota's I still say they are about equally retarded.

Garmin's speed limits aren't always accurate & I'm running the latest maps. Toyota's POI don't include TD Bank. Garmin's couldn't find the TD Bank in Secaucus that was close enough to walk to IF I had known it was there. When I went to the first 3 locations Garmin reported I couldn't find the bank.

Garmin won't display the name of the street you are on but Toyota's does. In a rally this is a benefit.

I botched a map install & didn't realize it so my Garmin was useless as soon as I left NJ. No problem with addresses on Toyota's in Virginia.

It takes 3 years for changes to work their way through the system before they appear on the maps.

20. bkman

bkman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    TomTom app on my iPhone cost me $40 (2010 Cyber Monday) + $20/y for traffic and have a lifetime updates!
    I can even legally install it on all my iPhones/iPads (traffic subscription can be active on one device)!

Have speed cameras, lanes directions, daily fixes to maps and ~ 6 months update cycle for entire map – for free.

It's my portable navigation buddy (think rental cars in business trips and vacations).

With ProClip mount it's really easy to install it to my Prius v. The only technical complain I have about power current in Prius v USB - it's only 0.5A which isn't enough for fast iPhone recharge. Plus crappy audio in model Two for sure, but I covered that in another thread.