1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Out of state buyer for Prius Plug-in.....

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by MagnetMan, Oct 20, 2011.

1. MagnetMan

MagnetMan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently live in Cincinnati, Oh. I am interested in buying a PIP, but Toyota did not offer it in my state. I am curious if out of state buyers can get a prius at the closest state that offers it and register the PIP in their home state. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

2. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Out of state buyers, like myself, can buy a Plug-in in any state offering it. Depending on whether your state has reciprocal tag and tax agreements with other states, the selling dealer MAY be able to take the sales tax and apply for title and tags in the selling dealer, which is easy.

The other option which I will be using is to get a bill of sale, an MSO ( Manufacturer's Statement of Origin), proof of insurance and take these documents to the tag office in my home county and they will take the sales tax payment there and apply for title and issue tags.
    This is necessary because GA does not have an agreement with CA.

GA does have an agreement with VA however, and other Southern states.

So I would suggest talking with the folks at your county tag office and ask them if the state you're thinking of buying from has an agreement with OH.

Good Luck!
    H

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Also, are you a pre registrant on the plug in website? If not, I'd start calling dealers now and see where you would be on their list because you would have to buy a car that comes out of their inventory if not on the list.

4. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On Wednesday I helped my daughter make a deal on a Prius from Beechmon Toyota in Cinci. They were very good to deal with, and I would recommend them. George Hubbard, a sales manager, is knowledgeable about the plug in, so if you do need to get on a list, I would suggest talking to him. BTW, we had a Costco referral, and they were super in honoring that deal. (We also dealt with King's Island Toyota, where the lady insisted that they would have the plug in in February or March, and blew off my statement that Ohio was not on the list of launch states. She didn't seem to know anything about the online ordering, either.)
    To buy out of state, assuming you are eligible to order online, I would suggest that you contact Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota in California. You can easily find her contact info here on Prius Chat. I talked with her about shipping a car to Cinci for my daughter, and she indicated it would probably cost $900-1000 to do so. If you were willing to fly out and make the drive back yourself, she is making good deals and really knows her stuff. Lots of accolades on Prius Chat from people who have bought from her in the past. She knows about the sales tax situtation and title registration, etc. and has shipping company contacts she has used before.
    Good luck to you.

5. MagnetMan

MagnetMan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live near to Beechmont Toyota and have talked to George before. I just assumed that they would not carry the pip cars until 2013. But, why would I go to California to buy one when I can go to new York or west Virginia. Both of those states are 1,700 miles closer. Is there a good reason to go to CA?

6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    George did say that they wouldn't be getting the plug in for another year or more. I only mentioned going to California in order to deal with Dianne. If you are eligible to order online in the priority group, my understanding is you can take delivery through any dealer in one of the launch states. For that, you would want to line up a dealer ahead of time, so you have the dealership name to enter when you submit the order.
    Dianne has a good reputation here on Prius Chat, and is offering a good deal.
    As for a trip to California, you have to consider the source. I'm a semiretired professional chauffeur, having driven my first private limo when I was 17 years old, over 50 years ago. I absolutely love a road trip. :)

7. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Actually, yes there is. If you go to California you can meet Dianne Whitmire.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dealers in border areas are usually licensed in both states. A WV dealer close to Ohio is probably an Ohio dealer as well. In that case the sale is easy. I would suspect a NY dealer is not registered in Ohio so you'll need NY temp tags and should contact your DMV regarding the registration & sales tax.

9. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd make sure you can register it in Ohio by calling the BMV.
    We bought a vehicle in AL from a dealer when we lived in FL, slapped our old FL tags on it drove to FL and reg, titled and paid FL taxes. No prob. We just had to sign a waiver we intend to pay FL taxes when we bought the vehicle.

Taken from Toyota's website:

Q: I don't live in one of the launch states. Can I still buy a Prius Plug-in?Yes. You have three options:
    • 1. You can order and take delivery through a dealer in one of the 14 launch states.
    • 2. You can contact a dealer in one of the 14 launch states and inquire about available dealer stock.
    • 3. You can ask us to remind you when the Plug-in is available in your state at the closest participating dealer (coming 2013).

10. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unless you truck the car out of California you will need to register it and pay state sales tax (close to 10%).

11. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Add Additional 9% for the Cain 999 Plan. lol :cheer2: