1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Out of State purchase?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Springtime, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Springtime

Springtime Member

OK, the 2006 pkg #4 is not available in PA. It is available in NJ ( about 50 miles from where I am located). In considering if I want to go to NJ to order my Prius - the question of sales tax comes up. It is 6% in both states - but, I am wondering what additional hassles I need to consider if I buy my car across state lines. Any ideas?

Springtime

2. ABC12

ABC12 New Member

I bought a car that way a long time ago. I DIDN'T pay the sales tax where I bought the car, but DID pay it when I submitted for the plates, which I obviously had to do myself. Other than that, I can't think of any hassles in doing it that way (other than to get a buddy to drive with me when I picked up the car, because I wanted to bring my old one back too).

3. Jeffreywho

Jeffreywho New Member

NONE!! Only takes a phone call.
    Call Toyota directly at 800-331-4331 M-F 5AM-6PM PT or Sat 7AM-4PM PT
    Tell them you had your heart set on package# 4 and now it's not available to you, but only 50 miles away in another region. Do tell them #6 is overpriced in your opinion. They will open a claim and the local dealer of your choice will be contacted and will acommadate you.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we got our pri down here in NC, and since we're residents of WI we registered it up there. we didn't pay NC taxes, but we had to fill out all the WI DMV paperwork on our own- it wasn't too much of a hassle, really. with the DMV paperwork you will have to submit all taxes and fees, so you will pay your tax that way. very easy, just make it clear to the dealer you don't live in NJ.

oh yeah. if you want to FINANCE that tax... you may have to bring all the paperwork with you beforehand if you're going through the dealer. but i don't recommend using dealer financing unless you can drive a hard bargain.

5. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You really need to check with the registrar in PA. It varies from state to state. I'm in Ohio and bought my Salsa Red in Indiana - I ended up paying Indiana's 6% at the time of the purchase and the additional 1% to Ohio (which has a 7% tax rate). Some border dealers will handle both tax payments but I bought mine well away from Ohio and the dealer didn't have the Ohio tax contact information.

6. Springtime

Springtime Member

Jeffreywho,

Do you think a complaint will do the trick? I just confirmed that Parodox located in NY can order the pkg #8 he wants in the color he wants if he is willing to drive down to PA to pick it up from my dealer.

My dealer can usually swap with some NJ dealers for a car, but, not able to do it with the Prius - the other dealers don't want to be bothered (they can sell everything they can get).

Parodox had the same problem with his NY dealer not being able to get a pkg #8. That's why I confirmed with my dealer that he could get the exact configuation he wanted if he was willing to come to PA to pick it up.

I have one other PA Toyota dealer within 20 miles of me that I will talk to to see if I get the same storyline. I will also call two NJ dealers closest to me to see if they will quote me a price if I am willing to drive to NJ to pick it up. (50 miles is not a big thing on back roads, but through conjested Philadelphia on unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar new car is a big deal to me and something I would like to avoid if possible.)

The other option is to get a quote from a NJ dealer and then go back to mine to see if he will go any lower on the Pkg #6 to get my business.

Your suggestion would be the best of both worlds if you think Toyota will go this route so that my local dealer can get a pkg #4.

Springtime

7. Jeffreywho

Jeffreywho New Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I ordered a 2006 package 4 back in Sept. and now it's only available 50 miles away in another region. I'm not willing to pay 40 bucks more a month for package 6. So I called Toyota Corporate and they assured me they will put me in the car I wanted. My local dealer called the next day, and it wasn't a salesmen it was the owner. I didn't want to step on his toes. At first he tried to talk me into a 05 but we ended the phone call with him saying Toyota doesn't want to lose the sale and they would get the package and color I wanted. The best part I have a claim number and Toyota said to call them back if I wasn't satisfied.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All of this varies from state to state. I have done this twice now, and would generally say that the purchase state will wave the sales tax and you pay in the state of registration. This is not universal, I read about some one that paid the local tax then the difference in the state of registration, Also look out Washington at least has a group from the state that looks for cheaters largely from Oregon where there is no sales tax. My suggestion is don't get caught. Call the dealer where you are buying the car and your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) or equivalent. I got mine all set up in advance and flew into Montana with my Washington plates and registration. The tax was paid in Washington. One example but milage varies.