1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Outside temperature wrong - faulty sensor or what?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pakitt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Today I took my car from the company garage (underground) and the reported outside temperature in the A/C display was 22C - a bit too low, but OK.
    The weather is hot today (30+C), so I was really surprised that after driving the car about 3-5 mins (including 1-2 mins on the highway at 100km/h) it still read 22C. After driving stop&go in town (not more than 50km/h for 20-30 secs - you know, traffic lights...) for the rest of the trip the temperature displayed was 23C.
    By the time I got to destination (20mins in total), the temp was always 23C.
    I tried to turn off the car (at a traffic light), turn on/off the A/C, changing the temperature of the A/C - nothing happened.
    It seemed as if outside temperature readout was stuck at 22C (and then at 23C).
    Then I took the car for another 15mins trip and the temperature went up to 24C and stayed there.

The reported temperature has always been correct up until this afternoon when I took the car. Is this normal? I mean, I expect the temperature sensor to take sometime to reach the ambient external temperature, but stay stuck at 22-24C when outside is 30C???

Where is the temperature sensor located in the gen 3? has anybody noted this? are there any other functions (e.g. A/C) based on this temperature reading? I am afraid also that if the reported temperature is wrong, the A/C will think it is not that warm and regulate the A/C accordingly.
    Could something prevent (moist on the sensor perhaps?) accurate readings?

The instruction manual says that the reading might not be accurate if you drive less than 20km/h, but this was not the case, as I drove most of the time more than that, excluding the waits at the traffic lights.

I could not find another similar post for Gen 3, so it seems I am the first lucky one to experience this "bug".

2. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My experience has been that if the sensor is wet (such as out of a carwash), it will read low for an extended period of time.

3. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My problem (well not really a problem) is that the sesor sometimes under the sun will read higher temperature than what it should be.

So if the temp is supposed to be 24c then it can read up to 28-30c under the sun.

Otherwise I believe it is very accurate especially in the winter. It always reads what the weather channels says what it should be.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Patrick Wong has indicated that the temperature sensor is located behind the front grill in front of the radiator, more on the driver's side.

Other than for about 10 minutes after going through a car wash, my temperature indication seems to be very accurate.

I would think that unless you find moisture or other foreign matter on the sensor, then it would be a defective sensor.

5. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know GM cars have a number of criteria, and I assume Toyota does as well, that must be met before the temperature will be sampled and the display updated. This is to prevent inaccurate temps from being displayed due to radiated engine/radiator heat. The vehicle must have been moving a minimum speed for a minimum period of time. One extreme is sitting still, where it would not update at all, and the other extreme is at high speeds where no radiated heat can reach the sensor, which is in front of the radiator.

I've also noticed that coming out of my relatively cool garage on a hot day takes a surprising amount of time for the sensor to warm up to the OAT, as in a number of miles.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This seems to be my case - I drove a total of 10-14km today (less than 10mi) when this happened. And outside was way hotter and humid (33C) than the garage (20C?)

7. vday

vday Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much to add other then I have the same problem - it takes long to start registering the correct outdoor temp.
    Our other (a 2002 Nissan) has the same problem.
    Danny

8. artnc

artnc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just started having this problem today when I left garage it was on 84 F and outside was 98 F it took 10 minutes and moved up 2 degrees and then it seemed it moved in 2 degreee increments every 3 or 4 minutes and got to correct outside temp in about 1/2 hour. The car was completely dry as was the outside weather. After working properly for almost 2 years, this just started. Defective sensor?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my brand new pip is exactly like that. my 08 was slow, but you could watch the rise after a few minutes. now, it's at least a half hour and i'm not sure it ever reaches the actual temp.

10. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It happened to me so far only once. Before you think it is broken or something, wait a while and see if it is a recurring event.

11. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes my temperature is correct and sometimes it does not change after I leave the cooler garage on my 11 Prius. My 03 Camry and 04 Sienna van have gotten slower to change or not change at all as they have aged. Of course, if I take the Prius to the dealer it will work while it is there.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    goes without saying.:rolleyes:

13. weatherguy726

weatherguy726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Happened to me today. The car was sitting in the sun after my 30,000 mile service. Outside temp 91F. I get in the car. Outside reading 79F. I drive a mile. Never changes. Bring it back to dealer to have him look at it. It takes him 75 mins to finally get to it. By that time, the temperature is reading 90F so "everything must be fine now." I leave; drive 15 miles. Temperature drops from 90F to 88F. Outside temp is actually 84F. Believable. 2 hours later, I get in car. Outside temp reads 88F (still). After about another 10mins, temp drops to 86F. Outside temp is 84F, late in the day. So, I guess it could be functioning correctly. I am waiting to see what it looks like tomorrow morning. Hate to waste my time at the dealer again.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like mine, just takes forever to get up to speed. i can't really understand why. it's as if the sensor is too isolated or something. first time in 6 toyota's that i've seen it. i wonder if toyota has a spec on how quickly it sould react. mine can take 10-15 miles/half an hour to reach the correct temp.

15. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Same way here...and sometimes even longer.

16. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had a case of "stuck" temperature reading on my 2005. It took disconnecting and re-connecting the plug several times to restore a good contact to fix it. The sensor/connector is in front of the radiator, in the middle of grille as far as I remember. It's exposed to all kinds of ambient conditions so its not surprising the contact can get bad over time.

Thanks,
    - Alex

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Except I have 7k miles on mine and it has been way off since the start.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine also, 2000 miles, new 04-20-12. mayybe disconnecting and reconnecting would help tho. i wonder if it's in the grille on the gen III?

19. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am guessing that the sensor readings are sent through a buffer so that sudden changes don't disrupt the current reading. Otherwise if there wasn't any damping of the reading, each slight change in temp would show up right away and the readout would never be constant. A similar set up exists for the fuel gauge reading so that when the fuel sloshes around your indication doesn't follow suit.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but this is my 7th toyota and it's never been this slow. when i leave my 75 degree garage, i would like to know that it's 90 outside within a few minutes/miles.