1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Outside Wiring?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr, Nov 14, 2007.

1. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I need to install a magnetic CB antenna to the top of my Prii. I'm thinking of placing it either directly behind or behind and to the side of the radio antenna. My problem is getting the wire into the car. I was originally going to go through the hatch but after closer inspection I would have to breach the seal or drill through the into the paneling, niether of which i want to do. Any ideas?

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For what it is worth, I would do a permanent install with a base that permanently mounts to the roof, like a radio antenna and then use a mast which unscrews when wanted. I would mount it right in front of the factory radio antenna and run the antenna lead into the headliner and then down into the rear panel, down to the floor, under the door sills and into the dash area to plug into your CB. Look up the install of the XM radio antenna I did and follow that. It was posted here when I did that 2.5 years ago. THe problem with the magnetic install is they can scratch, the wire can flop around anddo damage, look funky, etc.

3. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JoeyJoeJoShabadoo @ Nov 14 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]539736[/snapback]</div>
    Use a ham radio lip mount. It will probably be more expensive than the one you currently have, but many have very thin coax that can simply go between the hatch lid and weatherstripping around the trunk. Search PC for "ham radio" or "amateur radio" and you will find pictures and such, like
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=30840&st=0
    That's what I've been using for over 6 months, and have no leaks or noise or other issues. Plus you will not have height issues using a lip mount. For the carwash I unscrew the antenna from the mount and put a waterproof cap on the mount connector.