1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oval rubber plugs, in glove compartment.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prion, Jul 7, 2005.

1. prion

prion Junior Member

My new prius, has a package with two black rubber plugs inside it. These are sitting in the glove box. They are oval, i guess 3 inches long, by 1 1/2 inches wide. I assume these are supposed to go somewhere under the car.

Any one got any idea where? Will I hurt something if I dont install them?

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

Those are plugs that the dealer was supposed to put in the back prior to delivery. Your dealer screwed up and owes you to put them in right.

There are places in the back that are there to tie the car down on the cargo ship for the oversea journey to NA or Europe. Those holes will leak rain water that splashes up when you drive.

Here's a prior thread on this, though I don't have the exact instructions on how you can put them in yourself.

http://priuschat.com/forums/body-rubber-pl...lug-vt8839.html

3. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got the plugs too. Have yet to install them. I guess the holes are somewhere near the rear bottome of the car.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Guess this is something to add to the pre-delivery checklist in the KB.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To plug or not to plug used to be the question.

Some folks stated that the plugs would cause water to collect somewhere, causing rust down the line. I still have mine where the dealer left them because of that issue.

If times have changed, and plugging up the associated holes is a good thing, please advise...

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"105399)</div>
    HUMU is getting extensive repair; I'll check to see if the body shop replaced the rubber seals.

Think of it this way: If the plugs were not necessary, why would Toyota include them? Water will spray upwards onto the underside of the car, because of the rotation of the wheels. That water will enter the car through those little holes and will pool in places inside the body where it will cause mold and rust. I'd put the plugs back in.