1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Over Inflated Gas Mileage Problem Solved

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by no4noil, Nov 4, 2007.

1. no4noil

no4noil New Member

I have noticed several postings about and concerns of over inflation of gas mileage or tank averages not matching the actual calculated averages.

SO, I wondered if the numbers could be actually right? What would cause the difference? I believe I have found some of the difference that would be of interest to you.

We have a new 2007 Hybrid Camry purchased a few months ago. We truly are enjoying this car.

If you calculate the difference backward we were losing about 0.4 to 0.6 gallon per tank. I found some information that some Gasoline pumps may not accurately count the gasoline when pumping at the “highest speed†notch position on the pump handle. I understand the pumps counter has difficulty counting at the higher speed due foaming of fuel at the counter. This can vary from station to station.

So over the past several months, I have been tracking my actual gas mileage against the HyCams tank average. I have been buying from three different stations. I am now pumping at a “Middle†or “Slowest†notch setting at the Pump handle. I have been buying from the same pump at the same speed. . I found making this simple change made an improvement and I found one gas station that seems to match with in 0.1 mpg from the calculated MPG and the HyCam’s Tank Average.

Making this change has made a difference for me. So my suggestion would be to try pumping at the slower speeds and see if this makes a difference for you. I was amazed at the differences between gas stations.

Have any others had a similar experience? It would be interesting if others could confirm this as well.

Bill

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(No4Noil @ Nov 4 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]534731[/snapback]</div>
    I've always used the slowest setting to avoid gas spillage.

Bob Wilson

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is a real interresting observation. I have been using the middle speed for a long time just to help the pump click off at a more consistant fill level for the purpose of minimizing the differnece in fill level from tank to tank for consistant MPG calculations. Nice to know I have been getting more gas for my money.