1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overall MPG exceeds expectations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by wardplace, Jun 11, 2004.

1. wardplace

wardplace Junior Member

We have had our #7 Prius for two weeks and have 1300+ miles on it. We have not yet let the tank get really low as we live 70 miles away from the lower price gas...($.30 difference) When we get into Vegas, we will usually fill up before leaving if thereis any question about it. Our lowest computer gas mileage at fill-up has been 52.2 MPG. Today we put 7.96 gallons in the tank with 418 miles on the trip meter - a manual calculated 52.5 MPG - computer showing 52.3 MPG. We arrived back home with the computer reading 55.8 MPG. Our drive is mostly on Interstate - cruise set at 66 MPH. (Yeah - big trucks and SUVs hate us.) We use the air conditioning because it is 100 degrees + or - out there! We do find that we lose ground on our MPG when we are on city streets for awhile however. Our overall goal is to average 50 MPG, so we are extremely happy with our results. We think it has everything to do with speed - or lack thereof.

2. XravenX

XravenX New Member

Good to hear some positive posts about this subject matter. When i finally get mine I think I am going to do a test to see the difference between speed limit driving and the rate I would normally go at (around 70-72). If there is a big difference then I will be obeying the speed limit from now on. If the differenece is negliable then normal driving. We'll see.

3. priitis

priitis New Member

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, since so many people have been saying they weren't meeting the EPA mileage...

On the highway my Prius generally does at least 1 or 2 MPG better than the 51 mpg EPA estimate. I usually drive about 2 miles over the speed limit; that's so that if another car's speedometer is off mine by 1 or 2 mph, I won't drive them crazy :crazyeyes: by seeming to drive just under the speed limit :guns: ! I use the air conditioner if I need it but I only set it to the temperature where I am comfortable, and not one bit cooler.

Sometimes I get way better MPG, for example in the mountains the downhill driving sometimes pushes it into the high 60s if there are not too many uphill spells.

In the city I do worse, but I do seem to be getting at least 50 mpg in the city if not more, now that summer is here, even though I use the air conditioner when I really need it. And I do take mostly short trips in the city, which I know isn't good for mileage.

I also think people need to take into account that the way the EPA tests cars is very different from the way we drive them. I think the city test is something like driving for 12 miles at 25 mph. Who ever does that? Also I have found that little things like oil and tire pressure really do make a difference to mileage (& driving habits too of course).

Overall, I feel my Prius is coming up to snuff mileage wise. :angel: My MPG hasn't been in the 40s since it got hot outside (I was getting about 48 mpg in cold weather).

4. wardplace

wardplace Junior Member

Okay! Great! I guess I can hit the pedal a little harder and get where I need to go a bit faster. Thanks for the good news.

5. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After break-in and warmer weather ( I now have 9800 miles and temps are now in the 70s), I am getting consistently in the low 50's. I have found that driving 65 (yes - 10 over) gets me my best mileage because it gives me leeway to ease off the gas going up small hills without dropping below the limit. And I can use gravity to help get back to speed on the down side. I drive over 50 miles each way. Hiway, stop and go, and city. As long as you use your brain and not a chunk of lead in your right shoe, I don't see any reason why everbody shouldn't be getting close to the EPA's.

No car ever I ever had gets what the EPAs say. But it sounds like some people expect to drive it like a mustang on a dragstrip and still get in the 50's. I traded in a Neon getting 25 - 30 for this car. A Neon is not a gas guzzler, but I am almost doubling that mileage. No complaints from me.

6. priitis

priitis New Member

Well wardplace, you may be able to hit the pedal a little harder but I'm not sure! since most of the speed limits I've seen here on the east coast are 65 or less. Occasionally the speed limit is 70 (some stretches of road in Virginia, for example) & then I do generally drive about 72. I've driven up & down from New York to South Carolina, so those are the roads I'm talking about; most places it's either 55 or 65, usually 65 & then like you I go 66, or maybe 67.

I've read in several sources that if you drive over 65 your mileage does suffer. I haven't noticed that especially, but like I said I don't usually drive much faster than that. If I do, it's only on a long trip where I'm afraid I'll be on the road too long & get sleepy, which would be worse than getting bad mileage! & in that case of course (speeding) I'm also taking the risk of a ticket. But I'm always driving way slower than most people even if I do go faster than 2mph over the limit. I just let the trucks & mostly everyone else pass me... I do find that it's way more relaxing & fun that way! :icecream: