1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overall parts availability

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by hybridtwins, May 27, 2009.

1. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    How long does Toyota typically keep parts (power-train and otherwise) in stock for a given model year?

We're not big into DIY repairs except for maybe the smallest stuff (changing a tail lamp, say) so we'd rather that our dealer handles this instead of going the eBay/junkyard route.

2. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know the specific answer, but I have found parts availability for Toyotas through the dealer network, including remanufactured parts to Toyota quality standards, to be excellent..

I speaking from experience on the following Toyota kept for the years listed

1971 Mark II kept it 13 years
    1985 Cressida kept it 15 years
    1988 Camry still got it, running strong at 21 years

3. StangBanger

StangBanger New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that dealers legally have to supply parts for all the veheicles they sell for 15 years..Dont quote me on that but you can always call the dealership parts dept and ask..i would to help with your answer but its 12am..lol

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once your Prius is out of warranty, if you have a significant failure (traction battery, transaxle, inverter, etc.) then if you rely on your local Toyota dealer for repair you may well find that the repair cost approaches or exceeds the market value of the repaired vehicle. In that case, you probably will be better off scrapping the unrepaired vehicle.

5. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Understood.