1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overfill after oil change...not good!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cogtx, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Cogtx

Cogtx Junior Member

Got a call from my wife this morning about 7am. She was stranded on the road with her 05 Prius and about 30 miles from a dealership. She reported that all the lights on the instrument cluster were flashing and stayed on. The car lost power but was able to limp to the shoulder safely. Engine would not start. Called a tow for her thru the Toyota dealership in Bryan Texas area and they took care of the vehicle. I have done the oil changes on this Prius since we bought it. However, yesterday, my wife had the Prius washed and got an oil change while she was there. They had overfilled the engine oil way past the second top maker on the dipstick. Toyota dealership told us they ran codes on the engine which can detect too much oil (surprised me). Dealership drained and replaced the oil and the car is back in my wife's hand this afternoon. Really good service from the Bryan Texas dealership!!! Now I have to collect some $$$ from the guys who overfilled the oil...neither one of us will be having a good time tomorrow.. :angry:

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Are there codes for too much oil? My car has shut down with symptoms just like yours, and the problem is unrelated to oil level. Maybe your problems and the oil change are merely a coincidence.

3. Cogtx

Cogtx Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jul 30 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]487639[/snapback]</div>
    According to the dealership this morning, they said the codes indicated an overfill of oil. I have never heard of a code for that condition but gotta take their word for it at this time. They are to provide me with the diagnostics and print out so I can take to the people who changed the oil. What other problem did you have which causes your prius to shut down on you? Might be something for me to be aware of for future reference.