1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overhaulin' AV - Lots of Q?s

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by fadetogloss, Apr 8, 2008.

1. fadetogloss

fadetogloss New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    so I know im about ready to walk on hot coals by posting this :target:
    .. but i seem to be searching myself into circles with trying to find my Prius MOD answers.

I am picking up my Aunts 2004 Prius in 2 weeks and am going MOD crazy with research. Her prius does NOT have NAV/Bluetooth so im looking for the following options: NAV/Bluetooth/iPod Interface/Sirius/Remote Start/Backup Cam.. My questions are below, and any help (in 1 location (ie here) ) would be GREATLY appreciated!! (critical forum hounds...insert criticism here :censored:)

1. Is it even possible to have Toyota ADD the NAV/GPS/Bluetooth package to my stock 04 Prius? Price anyone?

a. If not, Is it possible to replace the Prius touch screen with another touchscreen system (looking at something like the Pioneer AVH-P6000DVD)
    b. if it IS possible to replace the Prius touch screen with another touchscreen system can you add the Prius computer system in as an AUX input to the Pioneer touch screen?
    c. If this is NOT possible to replace - can you install a backup cam into the stock Prius system? or is this where the lockpick comes in?
    d. If this is NOT possible to replace - will another 7" touch screen FIT in the dash by taking out the CD player AND the little drawer underneath it?
    e. Any combo of all of the above?

2. Does adding a subwoofer drain the car battery a lot (ie effect the cars EV performance?)

3. Is it even possible to add a remote start to a stock system with the Smart Key? I currently have the Viper 791XV on my pathfinder (live in Colorado)

4. Where can I buy that kick ace EV buttons?

(non AV Q?s - sorry :confused:)

5. Verdict on the body stabilizing bar? Is it worth it?

6. Verdict on tire pressure? is it worth it? does it REALLY work? (how much again? :tape2:)
    a. Verdict on new tires as a whole? which kind?
    b. Or new rims?

7. No0b Alert* - what does adding the engine block heater do?

Ive searched and searched and found pieces of answers but not anything direct. If someone would be so kind to answer before banning me for being dumb that would be wonderful.

-cheers

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, fadetogloss! The answers to all your questions are here, but not in one place. You would have to research, really. But here are some quick answers, if you want more, use the Google search option...

1. Is it even possible to have Toyota ADD the NAV/GPS/Bluetooth package to my stock 04 Prius? Price anyone? No, cost prohibitive, you could buy a new one.
    a. If not, Is it possible to replace the Prius touch screen with another touchscreen system (looking at something like the Pioneer AVH-P6000DVD) Sure, do anything you want, but it won't fit in the bezel or look stock.
    b. if it IS possible to replace the Prius touch screen with another touchscreen system can you add the Prius computer system in as an AUX input to the Pioneer touch screen? Cost prohibitive.
    c. If this is NOT possible to replace - can you install a backup cam into the stock Prius system? or is this where the lockpick comes in? I saw a backup camera kit at Costco for about $40 with a separate screen.
    d. If this is NOT possible to replace - will another 7" touch screen FIT in the dash by taking out the CD player AND the little drawer underneath it? Try searching for car computer and see what people have done, it's possible.
    e. Any combo of all of the above? Forget trying to upgrade the car, get add-on stuff and do some neat wiring. You can get a GPS/Bluetooth unit that may work better than the 2004 stock nav.

2. Does adding a subwoofer drain the car battery a lot (ie effect the cars EV performance?) Not when the car is READY. You can drain the little 12V battery fairly quickly with a big amp in ACC mode, in READY the big HV battery keeps the 12V fully charged.

3. Is it even possible to add a remote start to a stock system with the Smart Key? I currently have the Viper 791XV on my pathfinder (live in Colorado) You clearly haven't searched for remote start, there are many threads discussing the difficulty and inadvisability of a remote start. Don't be lazy.

4. Where can I buy that kick ace EV buttons? Sigma Automotive among others.

(non AV Q?s - sorry :confused:)

5. Verdict on the body stabilizing bar? Is it worth it?
    I think so, others don't.

6. Verdict on tire pressure? is it worth it? does it REALLY work? (how much again? :tape2:) Yes
    a. Verdict on new tires as a whole? which kind? You need new tires if the car still has the OEMs.
    b. Or new rims? You're being lazy again.

7. No0b Alert* - what does adding the engine block heater do? It warms up the ICE with electicity instead of gasoline. Electricity costs the equivalent of about 15¢ a gallon compared to gas. An EBH helps you keep a high MPG.

Ive searched and searched and found pieces of answers but not anything direct. If someone would be so kind to answer before banning me for being dumb that would be wonderful. Of course you've only found pieces, it's up to you to synthesize.