1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overhead Electric Lines for Trucks Are Coming to California

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SlowTurd, May 22, 2012.

1. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Overhead Electric Lines for Trucks Are Coming to California

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--HWis8NZBI&feature=player_embedded"]2012 Siemens - eHighway Test track - YouTube[/ame]

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent idea for end use of energy. STill leaves the US to cleanly produce the energy in the first place.

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then all you need to do is but tracks under them...

1 person likes this.
  4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a neat idea.

The video shows the truck stopped while the pantograph is raised - hopefully they can also be raised while moving. Does the truck have batteries to store energy while en route to its off-grid destination?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Our trucks had to be stationary to raise the pantographs, until one of the operators who was an ex tank driver, devised a periscope so the drivers could attach to the trolley on the fly.

[​IMG]

You can see periscopes above both cabs, in the front cab you can see the flag helping the driver aim. Since top speed on trolley was 13 MPH, the problems may be different.

6. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Technology goes full circle.

Tom

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's a shame that GM is no longer the giant power house that it was ... way back in the 1930's 1940's and 1950's. If it were, they could simply buy up this electric technology - then crush it ... just like they did with the trolleys. That way their gas engine manufacturing would continue to do well ;) :

[​IMG]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy]General Motors streetcar conspiracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Yep ... what's old, is made new, again.

1 person likes this.
  9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Firestone was in on that, too. "Rails to rubber" is what they called their 'modern' program.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Among others.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got to say, I hate the idea of running raised power lines for long stretches. In the short term its cheaper than in the road, but they are ugly and could cause safety problems.

I like the idea of adding them under the trucks, and at the same time adding rails in the road for public transport. This would be a safer solution, although more costly. Plug in cars, trucks, and buses could latch onto the power, then disconnect when moving of the system.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So many companies are trying to push wireless charge tech -

[​IMG]

surprisingly, none have offered that tech to supplant the wired scheme. I'm guessing that's due to the losses in wireless power transmisison.

Still ... the idea of picking up juice while on the "main line" ... and then a BEV would still be able to commute 80miles - 90miles once disconnected from the line, out to other destinations. That makes EV's more convenient. You could head to Vegas ... 300 miles away, and still be fully charged when you arrive.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Talking about old ideas coming around again, these sound like slot cars to me. :)

1 person likes this.
  14. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I think it was about 6-7 years ago, someone proposed electric cars running on a dedicated roads (like toll roads) with wireless recharging. The cars will linked up and drive like a tram, to minimize traffic and save power/fuel by minimizing drag (think Nascar).

His proposal allowed electric cars to travel long distances through the dedicated roads, and do city runs on the EV's own battery. That would have fixed the EV's limitation. But guess that was too future thinking for our politicians.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

rails? Hows that safe for other cars? And whats unsafe with raised powerlines? Plenty of European cities have trams which are powered with raised powerlines and i never heard of accident due to that.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a fairly new (2004) by tram standards APS or Ground Level power supply that doesn't supply power when it is not connected. The rails are safe to walk accross, even for pets in the rain. They are fine for cars. The first system was the Bordauex Tramway. I'm not sure how well a system would work for random trucks, but it should be fine for dedicated light rail or buses.

17. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This is only one of the reasons I could and would never buy american ever.
    It is so sad, and corrupt that it demoralizes being an "American"
    Even gives thought to move of the country.
    Even gets you wondering about terrorism and the likes.

Japanese and German cars always gave me better gas mileage,
    I have no reason to look at USA made cars.

Only thing is that it took a lot of power to disfigure electric transport and
    50 years or so.
    It would take 50-100 yrs to get it back in our city's
    Let just hope we move forward faster and "stay on track"!;)

1 person likes this.
  18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Neat vid. Not sure what I think of it, because when you demand new infrastructure your cost has suddenly gone up hugely. I guess it solves EV range issues and cost of batteries.

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    When I was a kid in the 50's and into the 60's (19, not 18) Chicago's local mass transit (long haul was and is the "El"/Subway) was a combination of "Street Cars" (rails) and "Trolley Cars" (rubber wheels) both used overhead power.

JeffD

ps. One didn't try to race the trolley's as they had almost an infinite source of power.

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

my city has one of the biggest tram networks in the world and i can tell you right now, rails are not nice to drive over with regular car... cant imagine it working on the highway at high speeds at all.

also, i am nor sure why would you overcomplicate it with ground power... on most highways there are powerlines already going close to the highways, above the ground.

i mean it would be cool to have some kind of in the ground electricity but if it costs more, complete project might be unfeasible.

plus again, i dont think having rail tracks over regular highways (of course at the level, is safe at those speeds.