1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overhead Mounting of ScanGuageII

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Apr 12, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have been thinking about this installation location since I got the ScanGuageII, but up until tonight, it was just floating around the car. I was holding off becuase I thought I would need to extend the cable, but the cable that came with the ScanGuageII was just long enough to run diagonally through the dash, under the left hand vent duct, up the window piller (behind the airbag) and across the front of the headliner as shown by the red line I added.

To avoid attaching double sided tape or velcro to my headliner, I used a platic clip around the front edge of the headliner, and the ScanGuageII is secured to the clip by a single wrap of black electrical tape around the perimeter of the ScanGuageII. The tape also covers the second White RJ-45 connector on the right side.

Attached Files:

2. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good ... very clean!

:ph34r:

3. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice install. What type of clip did you use?

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool idea! I just stuck mine on top of the steering column (temporarily), and it seems to work out OK there too. I'll post pictures when I get around to it. The advantage of yours, is that it is out of sight, and out of the sun, and no windshield glare. Was it a hassle routing the cable thru the dash?

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This should be in the Mods section, but sunce we're already here, here's my Scangage installation. It is temporary with double stick tape, and I ran the cable down along the steering column, and stuffed the excess behing the center panel under the dash. I think it works pretty well there, and is easy to see and operate.

Attached Files:

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What kind of clip?

It was a clear plastic label holder sleep for the top of pentaflex hanging folder, but I need to find something a little stouter. It will not fall, but does flex when I use the push buttons.

l<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 12 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]422146[/snapback]</div>
    It was not too much hassle. I pulled of the lower panel under the dash that has one screw and several snaps. Pulled out the far left Air vent cover which snaps off without tools. This allowed me to run the cable though the dash from the OBDII plug and around the AC vent duct to the window piller area.

I pulled off the weather stipping around the drivers door which gives access to a small slot toward the back of the side of dash where you can feed the cable through and up into the window piller. I pulled the Piller molding off part way to manouver the cable behind the airbag and into the headliner. Most stuff just pops off fairly easily. A molding tool can help though.

7. Squint

Squint New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 12 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]422434[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if the Prius dash is the same but you might be able to get a cleaner install by running the cable behind the lower dash and then have a minimal amount emerge to connect to the SG2:

[​IMG]