1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

overheating - thanks for any insight.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by confusedcole..., Sep 20, 2024 at 6:05 PM.

1. confusedcole...

confusedcole... New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Replaced water pump, new coolant. unplugged chst temp sensor whilst doing that and forgot to plug it in for two weeks. reconnect the sensor and the next day engine overheats and no hot air in cabin. Replace thermostat. Doesnt feel like coolant is cycling through thermostat still and back to core even after a while in maintanence mode and up to temp. CHSt pump has been revving high at shut down like its fighting to pump. I guess i have a clog somewhere and coolant blocked somewhere. P1116 is my only code. Coolant control valve is next step on the list to cross off. Thanks

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any chance you left a big air bubble in the coolant loop? There is a whole song and dance needed to burp this thing properly.

If by coolant control valve you mean the three way valve, that isn't likely to cause overheating. Well, not be being in the wrong position, maybe if the path through it was jammed up with something.

Could be the thermostat was reinstalled in the wrong direction, or just happened to fail while it was off the car. Or, if it is a new thermostat, it might be defective. (I recently encountered a brand new but faulty Gates radiator cap for an Accord. It would not open, even way past its rated pressure. If that Accord had overheated with that cap on something would have gone boom.)

rogerdpack likes this.
  3. rogerdpack

rogerdpack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    overheats like steam coming out of the radiator cap?