1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overinflating tires and gravel roads?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tundrwd, Oct 6, 2008.

1. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Ok, I've read and considered the over-inflation of tires in an effort to get more MPG, however:

I live on a gravel road, and have to drive a couple of miles each day on gravel. Sometimes the grader does a good job, sometimes it's a mess. Sometimes we get good gravel put back down, sometimes it's crap. In our area, they usually put down what they call KG&E "mix" (KG&E was the name of an erstwhile Gas & Electric company), which is basically a limestone mix of 1.5" rock down to 1/2" rock, with a measure of smaller stuff and dust thrown in to "pack" it.

I know all about tire longevity and gravel roads (I've gone through a couple sets of "100,000" mile tires in 50,000 miles), and I'm concerned that over-inflating them will create the possibility for more tire cuts, etc. I travel at least 2 miles every day on gravel, and on trips, sometimes more a few times a year.

Does anyone have real-world experience with this?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My experience is that softer tires will give you better traction on gravel roads. As for tire life, it's hard to say. If it were me, I'd stay closer to the recommended tire pressure.

Tom

3. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, gravel roads are a different matter. I haven't lived on a real gravel road for many years, but if I did I wouldn't be running extra pressure in the tires. I would also invest in the BT Tech skid plate and put some protective screen in front of the radiators.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially the A/C radiator. As it is it's too easy for road debris to puncture it.

5. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks. 'bout what I figured, based on past experience with that.

Don't know about the skidplate, roads aren't quite that bad. I've been on a few that are, but that's usually AFTER a severely muddy spell and the roads are all chopped up. Doesn't happen often, and when it does, the truck will go out for a few days.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I run Nokian WR tires inflated to 40 PSI front and 38 PSI rear. They work -better- than the Integrities on the gravel. They are much stronger than the Integrities though. Most important, the Integrities felt like they were marbles while the Nokian WRs feel solidly planted.

I wouldn't inflate tires too much when running on gravel, as a large rock can bruise the tire, but the max inflation pressure for the Nokians is over 50 PSI so I think 40 is pretty safe. They do collect and throw small rocks more than the Integrities did.

I have eve trough expanded aluminum in the lower grill to protect the rads. It's the stuff intended to prevent leaf buildup in eve troughs.