1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

override 2006 NAV system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by marcdare, May 29, 2006.

1. marcdare

marcdare New Member

This link was compiled and provided by PriusChat member RonM, and is the best compilation of how to navigate through the 2006 Service Screens. OUR THANKS TO RonM! He has also provided a link that tells one how to MASTER voice commands, a tool very overlooked in our cars. With this AMAZING LIST of commands, you can do everything from numbered address destinations to POI's and anything else you can think of...all while the car is moving. So, until we figure out how to override the NAV system touchscreen ops, at least for now, we have a HUGE fully functional other option. Here is the link to the Voice Command list. The link below this is how to navigate the Service Menus.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1360

AGAIN, THANKS TO RonM for his amazing efforts. The time, the pics, and the pioneering efforts are greatly appreciated! Y'all should check this guy out for his other amazing insights and knowledge he so freely provides. We should all follow his lead!

Please keep updating. I will also list what I have discovered and experiments I have run. Forgive any duplication on other parts of the site. I am just trying to get this seen by as many eyes as possible. The information is out there but scattered. I feel if we put all known facts in one place, NAV override WILL be discovered. Respond to this thread so it stays in the forefront of the main page (responses put any thread at the top of the list.) The more eyes it crosses, the quicker it will be discovered. Your response can be as short as "got it."

I will continue to edit the main page here with updates until we crack the code. If anyone else knows a better way to do this...feel free to do it, or tell me. I am not looking for any credit here. just answers.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...agnostic+screen
    THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT! This info needs to be combined and highlighted with all other known SERVICE MENU navigation techniques. Please, someone take this and post it in all areas where folks are looking for this. Many folks who are working on this NAV override issue don't have all of the known facts yet. I am seeing this more and more, and trying my best to corner all info. I am attaching a post I sent recently. Please thumb through, and someone with more posting experience please compile in a neater fashion. Thanks so much!

It seems you know how to access several service menus. I am trying to compile a list and sort of "map out" the waters of the service menus. If you know more than I list here, would you kindly list all ways to access service menus? Bits of info seem to be scattered throughout this site. I am trying my best to compile into one place so one of us can figure it out. And like I said before, I have spoken to someone who does have the info...and they say it is indeed possible with the touchscreen...he just would not divulge the info. Hopefully, one of these programmers will pissed off enough at someone to spill the beans! Until then, lets work together on this.

So far, the menus I know how to access are:

1) Hit "Display" button. When yellow lines appear, on the left of your screen, touch just under the top yellow line, and just above lower yellow line, 3 times each starting with the top, alternating.

2)When in this service menu...touch "menu" button in upper right, and it will bring you to "DIAGNOSIS MENU."

3)Touch the upper left, and lower right of this screen one time each, and it will bring you into YET ANOTHER SECRET SERVICE MENU.

In this menu, the lower right button (I forget what it says...will update later) doesn't seem to do anything when I press it. Hmmmm...when I HOLD it down, however, after about 5 secs it beeps, kinda like the old override button in the pre 06's. I tried driving right afterwards, and it still did not override the system...but something tells me there is more to it.

I'm just trying to document any and all experimentations. I will copy and paste a previous post with all I know about the SERVICE MENUS. FOLLOWING IS THAT POST.

Howdy folks. This is my first post not only on this site, but anywhere ever...so please bare with me. I, like many of you, have been trying to defeat the motion sensors that "grey out" the main NAV functions while the car is moving. It took loads of searching, but I found on this site a way to at least hack into the "SERVICE MENU SCREEN."

Basically, you hit the "display" button from any screen, and when the two yellow lines appear that seperate top from bottom, on the left side of the screen, touch just under the top yellow line...then just above the bottom yellow line. Go back and fourth for a total of 6 times starting with the top (3 top, 3 bottom). For a more detailed description with pics, go to

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15018

****To exit this screen, the guy says you must turn the car on and off again. You simply have to hold down the "display" button for just over 5 seconds.************

Now, from here, no one has figured it out yet. I have, however, contacted the makers of the software, and they assured me there is a way to do it by simply touching the screen, they just absolutely won't divulge it...yet. It took a lot just to get the guy to admit that...even that he said could have gotten him fired. So our thanks to him for at least saying it is possible.

Now then, here is my theory. First, go into the service menu screen. It will say "SYSTEM CHECK MODE." Click "MENU" in the upper right corner. The next screen, you will see "DIAGNOSIS MENU." Click on "NAVIGATION CHECK," then click "VEHICLE SENSORS."

You will see a screen that shows a digital speedometer, voltage meter, a bunch of other things, AND A VERY INTERESTING "RESET" BUTTON. My theory was this: While the car is moving and you are on this screen, you will see the digital speedometer matching of course the one in your dash. I thought, if ...let's say you are driving 25 mph, and hit the reset button...would it be like a digital "tare" button on a digital scale? Meaning, would it make the computer think the new "zero MPH" was now 25mph? Allowing you to use the NAV system for anything under 25mph? Or whatever speed you wanted to set it at? I tried it last night...not knowing if it would work or screw up my whole system. The answer was NEITHER.

All it did was reset everything EXCEPT the mph, and something called "PULSES." When I held down the reset button instead of just touching it, the pulses kept increasing. I stopped after about 5 seconds...not knowing if I was screwing anything up. (I don't think I was...it all resets everytime you stop the car and turn it on and off again.) I have tried it since while the car is in park, and it seems the pulse meter simply measures any electricity being used in the car. For example, the V (which I assume means voltage) reads while the car is resting at 1.501. When I hit the reset button, it jumps to 1.504, and back when I release it.

I know this isn't much to go on, but I feel if people know how to hack into that screen, the rest will come easy if we put our heads together. I am also including a link to show new folks how one was able to hack into the pre-2006 service menu screen and successfully override the NAV motion sensors without doing anything except touching invisible buttons in their screen. You can bet, (and like I said, I had someone back it up) it can be done in the 2006's. LETS DO IT EVERYBODY!

HERE IS THE LINK ON HOW TO DO IT IN THE 2005'S AND BELOW:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Override-Toyota-Pri...gation-Gray-out

***********UPDATE*************

HERE IS MORE GREAT INFO I GOT INTO NAVIGATING THE STRANGE WATERS OF THE SERVICE MENUS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS, BUT IF IT'S ALL IN ONE PLACE, I'M SURE ONE OF US WILL FIGURE IT OUT. ANY EXPERIMENTS SHOULD BE DOCUMENTED FOR ALL TO SEE HERE.

Touch screen diags, for 2004 or newer
    Use of this information might result in disabling your vehicle, use it at your own risk.
    • Hold Info button while turning the lights on and off 3 times, you can wait for system checks. -OR-
    Press the display button, then press the left upper and lower corners within the display settings box 3 times.
    o If codes exist press LAN Mon, then CHEK to show codes or hold code clr to clear codes.
    • From the initial screen, hold Info button while turning the lights on and off 3 times
    for Model Info Set Up (type) screen. I do not know what these do, use at your own risk.
    o Types are : 690N 740N 836N 783N 620N 808N 480X 900N 382X 290X
    Types are : 901N EMV AVX(ten) AVX(nat) AVX_HV(ten) AVX_HV(nat) 749N
    • Use the Menu button to reach the Diagnosis Menu, press the Display Check and then
    Vehicle Signal Check to show the accessory battery voltage and other information.
    • From the Diagnosis Menu press upper-left then lower-right screen corners for PDM menu.
    o All buttons except for perhaps the Init. BackUp may be safe to use.
    • From PDM screen, hold Info button while turning the lights on and off 3 times for an untitled screen.
    o Here you find a number of options stating success or PGM rqd including TKM, Flicker,
    setting:Tape/MD, setting Address:110H/120H, setting AC:eek:ff/on, and setting Auto:eek:ff/on
    • Hold the physical Display button to exit at any time, or simply power off the car.

For those of you who understand "postings," as I am a novice, please post this under any category you feel will generate all of the information into one page...I know we are close to an answer!

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This feels very good! Great work. No programer can resist a back door. 06ers nail this before the Lexis folks pay for it. We are all behind you. Our reputation, as going before is on the line here!!

3. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenfoot @ May 29 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]262531[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reminder about the voice commands. The list posted is from 2004. Those of us with a 2006 Prius can also set Nav destinations by using the "Address" voice command and then specifying the 'state', 'city', 'street', and 'street number'. Also, with bluetooth the 2006 has voice commands "dial by name' for pre-recorded names of those one calls frequently, and 'dial by number' to speak the ten digit phone number to call. With some practice I achieve success for the full task about 90% of the time, but sometimes need to repeat a voice command more clearly or with fast clipped and accurately pronounced speech. None of these newer 2006 voice commands are on the list posted - perhaps it needs an update?

Best regards,

Eric

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I must have missed the "Address" voice command when I read my manual.

Sure enough (stopped at least during my test), it works. It took me a few tries to get it right, but it worked.

Next I'll try doing this while driving!

5. marcdare

marcdare New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eric Nothman @ May 31 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]263852[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Eric. That's a great idea. I tried searching PriusChat for an updated list...but to no avail. Do you have access to a link for an updated 2006 list? DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ONE? If so, and could post, would really appreciate it. I will keep looking in the meantime.

6. sdsteve

sdsteve New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenfoot @ Jun 2 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]264658[/snapback]</div>
    The is a good list in the NAV instruction book as well as a quick reference card. If you don't know, there are also "alternate" commands for many functions too. If I get a chance I'll see if I can transcribe it into a word doc or something.

Steve

7. ISherman

ISherman New Member

Any luck on finding out how to over ride the "I agree" and Grey Out for the 2006 Prius after you get into the service menu?