1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Overseas Prius MFD modded to play videos

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by caliwaves, Dec 23, 2020.

1. caliwaves

caliwaves Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is pretty interesting. I suppose if it can play video from a rear view camera, it can play video from another source also. Notice the "Check surroundings for safety" message at the bottom. I think that only pops up when the car is in 'reverse' and the camera is activated. It would be interesting the find out what wiring changes they made.

A sad part is I'm sitting here looking at it and the first thing I thought about was what a good job they did on the dash disassembly, having no cracked AC vent assemblies.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember in early 2000's reading a NY Times article about Honda car hackers who built those piggyback ECU chips and reversed engineered the car's computer code. At the time, the celebrated moment was when the first person was able to upload a .jpg file onto the screen in the car...

Though there's little value to me in using these old Gen2 Screens for anything if we could find a way to replace it with an Android tablet screen and not lose the graphics and climate and sound controls. That would be my goal. So if anyone has options for that please let me know?