1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Owner for a week

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kevinc_63366, Jan 16, 2008.

1. kevinc_63366

kevinc_63366 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did the responsible thing and swapped my BMW Z3 convertible for a green family car... having a new child on the way tends to make one do these things...

Still trying to figure the car out completely, like the environmental controls. The owners manual ALMOST talks like A/C is both heating and cooling, yet the car warms just fine with it off. Still... it seems like it wants to default to having it on. Also working on training myself to drive efficiently.

Kevin

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kevin,
    Congratulations on both your new arrivals.
    Yes the AC is both ... guess it should be called something like Climate Control or CC for short. :rolleyes:
    Gary

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heating can still be called 'conditioning' the air, can't it? Yes, it does take some getting used to, and what the manual refers to isn't just cooling. The consumption screen gives great feedback for learning to drive more efficiently. Probably slower, too, coming from a Z3...:) Hey, welcome to PriusChat!

4. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I don't leave the auto a/c on, because sometimes I prefer just fresh air or nothing at all. If I want to turn the heat on, I press one of the fan buttons and adjust the temp to the appropriate number. For outside air (no heating or cooling) I press one of the fan buttons to turn it on and then press the down-temp arrow all the way to "Lo."

Enjoy the car and congratulations on the baby.

5. kevinc_63366

kevinc_63366 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just a tad... Now I feel guilty if I hit 70 mph. In the Z3 I'd start to notice I was going a bit fast at 85 mph, and hit 105 mph passing a truck one day. FYI: 105 mph in the Z3 handled the same as driving 55; they really are "driving machines".

Is there a thread on maximum economy driving on this forum? We went for a country drive, my wife (a new driver) managed 42.7, I managed 46.8, but the cruise control only managed 38.2 mpg. I was a bit disappointed in that. Made me wonder if anybody had cracked the programming and modified "cruise control" to allow some flexibility - say setting it for 60 mph would allow it to vary from 55 to 65 depending on load (like going up and down hills) in order to maximize economy. Just seems like the computer aught to be able to do this better than me.

6. PrematurelyGray

PrematurelyGray Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Kevin-
    Congrats on the car and baby.

The question was mileage optimization and the answer is you are required by law to read the following guide by Evan Fusco (though there are no cruise control hacks in it):

better mileage tips

7. kevinc_63366

kevinc_63366 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks!

Pulling the article up now. One clarification: I have a 2008 with the 48/45 EPA estimates. I was actually HAPPY with the 46.7 I got.

Ok, now to read on how to get that even higher...

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes, in days gone by, my "driving machine" was a turbo porsche (shaking head). Of course, the fact that a machine's handlability is excelent really won't help while flinging around that mountain cliff hair pin turn, when you hit gravel :eek:. In the Prius, I find I'll never have to regret cornering too hard (as I'm flying over the cliff) under such cirmstances.:D

Welcome to PC, too !

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cruise control's great for maintaining a steady speed, but it's not designed to maximise mileage. You'll have to reprogram your internal computer for that. :)
    Not keeping a steady speed, especially on hills, is one way to get better mileage. If traffic allows, try going a little slower on the way up, and a little faster on the way down. Use momentum to your advantage and carry a bit of speed up the next hill.