1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Owners" associations -- asleep?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Jun 7, 2008.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

After reading the "Quiet Cars Notice of Public Meeting and Request for Comments" (docket NHTSA-2008-0108) and calling the coordinator, I realized the 'system' is biased towards hearing from corporations and organized groups. There will be time at the end of the hearing for the 'general public' (the 'tin hats') but otherwise, it is the well organized groups and corporations that fit into their outline that will get a 'seat at the table' as part of the subject matter outline. So I thought, what about the "organizations" that claim to represent us:

• Hybrid Owners of America
    • the Prius owners group
    I went back and surveyed their web sites and found no evidence they are even aware of the "Bell the Hybrid" act, much less the issues. A quick survey of their 'articles' suggests they repost synopsis of articles and have totally missed this one. Their low volume of follow-up comments makes them nearly invisible compared to user driven sites like PriusChat, GreenHybrid and others. But they are sitting on a name that would be like a moth-to-flame to the NHTSA public hearing ... if they were even aware of the issue.

With less than two weeks to go before the June 23 hearing, I'm loath to "wake them up" because they are unprepared. They could walk into the hearing and like sheep-to-wolves, buy in to nonsense or agree to a dead end. They aren't user driven (did anyone vote on their officers?) so in spite of their names, they don't even have the standing of AAA.

Now Art's Automotive, Autobeyours, Automotive Career Development Center or any of Hobbit's gear head friends would be perfect to attend and submit comments to this hearing. They are intimately involved with hybrid technology, know the systems and know what is practical and impractical. They make their living keeping hybrids on the road and as such speak with considerable authority on the costs and impacts of the proposed rules. These would be the experts to answer what the "Bell the Hybrid" act would mean to us. But they are fully involved with their business and I'm loath to ask for 'free' help on this issue.

There is not enough time to organize an effective "Hybrid Users Group" for this hearing but if we were, it might consists of web site moderators because:

• monitoring postings, they are exposed to community attitudes
    • have the skills to deal with 'problem children'
    • communicate effectively
    • elected by user's voting with their keyboards and screens
    • evidence of sustained, hyper activity
    However, we do have time to organize for congressional hearings. Before a bill becomes law, it has to pass through hearings where invited speakers (by the representatives) present testimony and evidence. This will be the next challenge and this hearing is just the pre-screening.

HR 5734 is not a fight of our making but without an effective voice of reason, our representatives will only hear one side. We risk being saddled with an expensive, ineffective solution and would only have our own failure to organize to blame.

Last year, I formed a privately held company (625k Inc. of Huntsville AL) to extend the service life of our hybrids to 625,000 miles (1,000,000 km.) This number is twice the projected life-time that CNW Marketing claimed for SUVs and Hummers. It means solving the problems of how to refurbish and repair our hybrids over 30-40 years, quite possible considering the advantages of the technology. But this proposed rule puts my future retirement business at risk by forcing older hybrids into the auto-graveyard from expensive and hard to sell noise makers. So I have 'a dog in that fight.'

What pisses me off is this takes me away from my hybrid refurbishment and sustainability engineering work. Instead of spending time on how to extend the operational life of hybrids, I'm looking at how to persuade the NHTSA and our congress critters on why noise makers are the least effective and too expensive solution to pedestrian safety. I'm venting because the self-proclaimed, hybrid groups are less than effective and clueless and those who have a clue are ... well we're pretty busy already.

One of my GE managers told me that if you want to get something done, give the task to the already busy man (or a woman.) They are busy because they get things done. Well I'm venting and know what has to be done. <grumble grumble grumble>

Bob Wilson

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bob, I hope Danny is paying attention, as the proprietor of PriusChat, HybridChat, and all the specific hybrid model chat sites. PriusChat has over 40,000 members and almost 4,500 active members, so we constitute a fairly sizable Hybrid Users Group. I'm communicating with my Portland HSD group, urging them to tell them to go to http://www.regulations.gov, search for Docket No. NHTSA-2008-0108, and then follow the on line instructions to comment.

I wish I could join you in Washington. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Please represent me in front of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

3. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can the moderators, legally and ethically, list the members of PriusChat as members of a support group (I hesitate to use the word "lobbyist")? I suppose that would mean collating the real names of each member. Such a printed list, probably running 100 pages and presented to each member of the appropriate committee, could have some effect.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's important to remember us outsiders not from the USA have no say in this unfortunately.

5. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, Pat, you can have a say. Congressmen in U.S. do pay attention to any position that makes them look unpopular. May not be a legal type of thing, but emotionally you have their full attention.

6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is true Pat. Australia is a very well thought of ally to most US citizens. Even more so than the Brits!

7. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bob,

Again, I applaud your efforts in being so involved with the regulatory process. You seem to have quite a passion for this issue, and combined with your expert knowledge of the Prius's hybrid system, that makes you the ideal candidate for representing the PriusChat community. I would be honored if you would represent me at the NHTSA hearing.

Gary Bullock
    Anchorage, AK

8. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where do I sign up and what do I need to do?!!!!