1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Owners' Impressions of the Sound System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Husker4theSpurs, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone out there with the 2010 ... care to compare it to Gen 2 ... or just evals in general? I would especially like comments on the JBL option.

Gen 2 imho -- overly bass heavy and easily overwhelmed. Sounds like an early report in an old thread believes the system has been substantially improved.

What say you? :)

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    me Gen 3 stereo WAAY better, but then again, did not have stereo upgrade in SPM so who am i to say?

as far as Bass goes, it is adjustable

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The bass makes my dog growl.

Bob Wilson

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree with the heavy bass in the Gen II (2005 JBL audio). Did you read Doc Willie's audio report?

5. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I did read it ... thanks! Just curious how ordinary everyday folk are finding the audio :)

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I poked my head in the car when Doc Willie was testing the system out but I wasn't too impressed. It definately sounded much better than the stock non-JBL system that came in my 2005 but compared to a decent aftermarket system it was sorely lacking IMO.

For what I could get with my money from the aftermarket I stay away from factory upgraded systems...

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Spoken comparing the JBL system in the 2004 (with dash mat over the center speaker) and the Denso NAV based JBL Audio in the 2010.

Ironically, I found the Gen II JBL bass lacking. Gen III will bump if you let it. Turning DSP auto sound leveling on, and having treble and bass at +1, it'll hit all but the highest highs and lowest lows. In fact, I find sometimes bass to be overwhelming. Turning off auto sound leveling turns bass response down at highway speeds.

The 6x9" speakers are a blessing for bass response. Only a 12"+ sub could do better IMHO. There does seem to be a bit of coloration from the squawkers, but their lower crossover frequency allows the stereo sound stage to "appear" at windshield height instead of down at the doors.

On the plus side - at least on the NAV equipped version, audio settings (bass/mid/treble) are independent per audio source (AM vs. FM vs. SAT vs. CD vs. AUX vs. BT).

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Like Rick said.

I think the 2010 JBL system is a VAST improvement over the JBL that was in my 2007 Pkg #6.

It could be that the 2010 is just THAT MUCH quieter on the road, but I think a good bit has to do with removal of the big center speaker. Bass is now not just "noticeable" but distinct and enjoyable.

9. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am on a business trip to Chicago, so I took my manuals along to read without the distraction of all the beautiful shinny metal.

As such, I just discovered the DSP feature for the JBL sound system, and now I cannot wait to get back home and try it out.

I'll try out the +1 setting suggestion for Bass and Treble too.

The company I work for is all about DSP, so it is cool to find DSP in my car now.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    DSP is on by default.

1 person likes this.