1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Owner's manuals available in PDF?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by howardbc, Mar 1, 2009.

1. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius. I have the hard-copy owner's manual, but am wondering if I can get a PDF version anywhere. I didn't find anything in an initial search. It looks like Toyota will charge me for a copy and I'm not even sure I can get it in PDF. Doesn't seem right. I haven't tried contacting the dealership yet. I can get a free PDF of a TV, so why not a car manual? I don't want a repair manual, just the original owner's manual (but in PDF) that came with the car. Any thoughts?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I just posted about this only a couple of days ago...
    grope around on Hybrid Synergy Forum, there's a relatively complete
    rework of the manuals sitting there for the taking unless they've
    been forced to take it down since I looked. Someone else here pointed
    us at it even before that, so it's been around for a while. I knew
    that eventually this info would escape the bonds of rights-management
    and land in semi-obscure offshore repositories. And this set is a
    helluva lot easier to download than the thousands of techinfo files.
    _H*

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YES, Owner's Manuals in PDF

Howard,

The Toyota Owners site now has the Owner Manuals in PDF.

You need to register first (it's free):

https://auth.toyotaownersonline.com/Owners/ssl/nonauth/registration/registration.do

Then you can do word and phrase searches of your year's Owner's Manual online. And then you can save to your computer the different sections of the Owner's Manual that you come up with in your searches.

If you do the searches right, you can piece together the entire Owner's Manual on PDF.

This is fairly easy to do, e.g., search phrase "Section 1", then "Section 2" or "Section 2-1", "Section 2-2", etc.

It'll probably be handy if you have your hard copy of the Owner's Manual and use it as a reference to be sure you downloaded all the sections and parts.

I just downloaded the entire 2007 Owner's Manual except the Index at the end (I tried a couple of times, but for some reason when I searched "Index", the Index didn't come up) and Table of Contents (same story). It took about 40 minutes.

Once I get my hard copy of the Owner's Manual (it's in my car which I lent to a friend), I'll check to see I got everything substantive and whether there are words or phrases in the Table of Contents and Index that I can search online in order to come up with their PDFs.

What I'd like to do is piece together all 23 files (some sections, like Section 2, have multiple sub-sections) into 1 PDF file. Does anyone out there know how to do that?

5. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: YES, Owner's Manuals in PDF

You can make them into 1 file with Adobe Acrobat.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks firepa. Yea I figured that out eventually.

I'm not working any longer, and I don't have Adobe Acrobat at home. I could get a free 30 day trial of Acrobat or subscribe monthly online. But I think I'll just email the different pdf files to one of my former work colleagues and ask her nicely to stitch the whole thing together into one file.

I think it's weird for Toyota to have the Owner Manuals online in PDF, but not have the entirety of any Manual on one PDF file for owners to download.

7. firepa63

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You think that's bad, you should see the 2004 repair manual on a CD...